The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 46 - File: global.php(816) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(816) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error
/global.php 816 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 874 - File: global.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 874 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5014 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5014 errorHandler->error
/global.php 874 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 6953 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 6953 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5041 is_member
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 6953 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 6953 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5041 is_member
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 1399 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1399 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 1354 fetch_forum_permissions
/printthread.php 83 forum_permissions
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 174 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 174 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 179 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 179 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 174 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 179 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

FEPlanet Community
Stupid Brash Mothers keep their children from buying popular Nintendo fighting game.. - Printable Version

+- FEPlanet Community (http://forums.feplanet.net)
+-- Forum: Et Cetera (http://forums.feplanet.net/forum-12.html)
+--- Forum: Highly Opinionated & Off Topic (http://forums.feplanet.net/forum-34.html)
+--- Thread: Stupid Brash Mothers keep their children from buying popular Nintendo fighting game.. (/thread-539.html)

Stupid Brash Mothers keep their children from buying popular Nintendo fighting game.. - sirocyl - 10-06-2014

... on the precipice that it is, in fact, a fighting game.

basically, this woman at my checkout till was all pissy about her son wanting a certain video game

was like "You look like you know video games? Can I ask you something?"
"yeah?"
"You heard about that new stupid Smash Brothers game, right? The one on the 3 D's?"
"It's the 3DS, and yes, what about it?"

Quote:"Well, I won't let my son play it because it's a fighting game, in which you beat up Nintendo game characters and animals and stuff. I mean, Zelda's in it, and she's a girl, I don't want this game teaching my son that beating up women is okay. I also heard there's even a dog and a duck that you can fight. Dogfighting and cockfighting just isn't okay. Am I right in telling my son away from it?"

"That'll be $32.85, swipe your card when ready"
that's all I fucking said
I couldn't even grasp a straw at her argument.

RE: Stupid Brash Mothers keep their children from buying popular Nintendo fighting game.. - Pura - 10-06-2014

News networks must be proud of themselves now...

RE: Stupid Brash Mothers keep their children from buying popular Nintendo fighting game.. - Swift_Assassin - 10-06-2014

. . . .I would say I'm surprised...but that would be a lie.

Wait...she heard that Duck Hunt dog/duck were in there? Maybe if she had a chance to actually play Duck Hunt, she'd change her mind on that part.

RE: Stupid Brash Mothers keep their children from buying popular Nintendo fighting game.. - Breadophile - 10-06-2014

(10-06-2014, 09:58 PM)Swift_Assassin Wrote: . . . .I would say I'm surprised...but that would be a lie.

Wait...she heard that Duck Hunt dog/duck were in there? Maybe if she had a chance to actually play Duck Hunt, she'd change her mind on that part.

From the single round of duck hunt I played, I can confirm this.

RE: Stupid Brash Mothers keep their children from buying popular Nintendo fighting game.. - Lavi - 10-07-2014

Quote:I don't want this game teaching...

I stopped right here. This is where the parent is supposed to get involved to make sure the child understands that it's a game and not representative of society, if she is so afraid of the educational power of the game. Seriously: my parents never talked to me about "fighting games are bad" or any of that, but I understood perfectly that society doesn't work that way, when I was young and playing the Super Nintendo.

People were afraid of the same thing about television and movies, but parents today have no problem showing their kids R-rated films.

RE: Stupid Brash Mothers keep their children from buying popular Nintendo fighting game.. - Alusq - 10-07-2014

I chuckled. This mother isn't worrying about Mortal Kombat, GTA, or Halo corrupting her child... but Smash Bros. The bar between innocent fun and violence has never been so low!
Back in my day, we just stuck to Mario games, which only had the good old wholesome plumber performing destruction of property and mass head-trauma. And by gum, we liked it! Now we got all these smash brothers... smashin' things.
I'd say you made the right move. There's no changing a mind that's set on demonising a form of media.

edit: I just realised "Stupid Brash Mothers". Clever/10

RE: Stupid Brash Mothers keep their children from buying popular Nintendo fighting game.. - Andy - 10-08-2014

I saw the title and just knew I had to see this topic.

I think you should've said something along the lines of, "Even kids can tell this isn't reality," in addition to what you did say. Seriously. I've been playing Smash Bros since the days of the N64.

RE: Stupid Brash Mothers keep their children from buying popular Nintendo fighting game.. - sirocyl - 10-09-2014

I should've said more, but she would be the type to start a lengthy "debate" which would quickly turn into an angry customer flagging down a supervisor and annoying the both of us.

o/t: I had a weird dream that our POS was touch-display, and I was able to void mis-rung items that are over $4 without a supervisor. That was glorious.

RE: Stupid Brash Mothers keep their children from buying popular Nintendo fighting game.. - Mizu - 10-22-2014

What Lavi said. Chances are, no matter what game your child plays, if they are actually capable of shooting up a school or murdering someone, then that child has a LOT of other problems; none of which would have been changed were they to completely steer clear of video games. Someone could dress up as a video game character and kill a bunch of people in the exact same way that character would have. That is NOT the result of playing the game. It is the result of an untreated/improperly treated mental illness. IMO.