The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 46 - File: global.php(816) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(816) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error
/global.php 816 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 874 - File: global.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 874 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5014 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5014 errorHandler->error
/global.php 874 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 6953 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 6953 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5041 is_member
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 6953 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 6953 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5041 is_member
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 1399 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1399 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 1354 fetch_forum_permissions
/printthread.php 83 forum_permissions
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 174 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 174 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 179 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 179 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 174 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 179 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

FEPlanet Community
Creative Drive - Printable Version

+- FEPlanet Community (http://forums.feplanet.net)
+-- Forum: Et Cetera (http://forums.feplanet.net/forum-12.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (http://forums.feplanet.net/forum-15.html)
+--- Thread: Creative Drive (/thread-27.html)

Creative Drive - Zanryu - 01-26-2014

What I'm wondering is, how many of those who stuck with FEP are into the creative works? Literature, digital, pencil or otherwise I mean? I was a big pixel artist but the drive to work at it sort of died off when the attention to the creative side of FEP died off, and I left basically every other forum I was a part of. I'm curious as to how big the creative sections could get on the new FEP, or if I should expect it to dawdle from the get-go.

RE: Creative Drive - Speedy - IX - 01-26-2014

Well we did just reboot the splicing competitions, currently debating on whether to host the next one here or back on the old forums... :o

RE: Creative Drive - Jack - 01-26-2014

I kinda just stopped making comics one day after I was realizing whether or not I actually enjoyed making them or if it was just a commitment. I think I did enjoy it, but it just became too much

RE: Creative Drive - Falaflame - 01-26-2014

I used to be into making battle sprites, but then my interest quickly died off.

One thing I still haven't stopped doing kinda is writing. I tend to push out a poem every now and then.

RE: Creative Drive - Zanryu - 01-26-2014

I'd love to see the splicing competitions make their way over here, starting fresh. Of course, we'd need more spriters to get in on it, but anything to spark some life into my old home on FEP would be brilliant - I really hope to see a new light shining on the arts around here. Tongue

RE: Creative Drive - WyvernSlayer - 01-27-2014

(01-26-2014, 03:00 PM)Jack Wrote: I kinda just stopped making comics one day after I was realizing whether or not I actually enjoyed making them or if it was just a commitment. I think I did enjoy it, but it just became too much

This pretty much sums it up.

I think we'll have a pretty steady creative section so long as people don't begin to see it as a chore. That's why I was always envious of spriters and comic writers - everyone eventually comes to expect things from you on some sort of timeframe, which can really take away from why you do those things in the first place.

RE: Creative Drive - ShinkuDragon - 01-27-2014

i still do some fairly minor spriting, but it just happened that as i grew my free time dwindled, and there were other things higher up in my "fun" list to spend time on than spriting.

that along with the section pretty much dying (so no more ways of getting feedback/viewing other sprites) kinda killed it for me.

it still is fun to do, mind you, there's just no time and other stuff to do with what little i have.

RE: Creative Drive - Mizu - 01-27-2014

I doodle and sculpt a little. School takes up a lot of my time, so I don't do it that often any more. Also, I probably wouldn't post much if anything on the forums. XD I guess that totally kills the point.~ rofl

I think it would probably do well. Might start slow, but it should pick up, peak, and plateau. Like everything... XD But yah, the plateau should still be at a high enough level of activity that the creation of such a section would be justified. I've always enjoyed rummaging around the design section. ^.^

RE: Creative Drive - Pura - 01-27-2014

I've kinda started this personal "back to artsy stuff" project... so yeah... I would be posting stuff.

(01-27-2014, 09:29 AM)WyvernSlayer Wrote: I think we'll have a pretty steady creative section so long as people don't begin to see it as a chore. That's why I was always envious of spriters and comic writers - everyone eventually comes to expect things from you on some sort of timeframe, which can really take away from why you do those things in the first place.
I haven't really seen people ever expecting stuff (unless they know you're superb skilled and then suddenly do like crap).
Sure some c&c will happen but that's expected... and if somebody doesn't want to see c&c, this person shouldn't be doing stuff (not caring about c&c is a whole another story).

RE: Creative Drive - Zanryu - 01-27-2014

I'm loving the responses already - I may start investing more free time into my spriting, get back to the grind and work myself back up to where I was; maybe I'll start improving again! I hope to see all of your work soon, been waiting years to have a community to share art and ideas with.

RE: Creative Drive - Val Ritz - 01-28-2014

I write sometimes, but not very prolifically, and almost never on a really large scale. In a funky kind of way I think that's why I like the feedback loop of a good roleplay; being stuck inside your own head for a while, the ideas can get lost.

RE: Creative Drive - sirocyl - 01-28-2014

When it comes to code I work on, as a creative thing, it's more like a collage/composition sort of deal.
MyBB is credited to MyBB Group.
Ten (the original base theme on the new site) is credited to Mandeep Singh Dillon.
The new admin control panel is credited to the designer of the MyBB ACP theme ProjectX, Shade @ iDeviceLAB.
The (beta!) webchat is based on the AJAX Chat by Blueimp and maintained by Frug.

By your powers combined, I am FEPlanet.

Before, we had one large, monolithic bit of code which was IPB; it was not shareable source, and cost money to (legally) update.
Then we wrote lots of things, like the front page, and FETO, largely on IPB, and highly dependent on it.
I'm not saying they were bad at all - they followed decent code principles for the most part, and it's amazing that such a large thing was 100% written from scratch, but they were written to require IPB.
It was like trying to build a house of cards on a wagon.

Overall, feplanet's software workings are shifting towards assemblages of open-source third-party code, roped in and managed by hand, and rewritten where needed.
(As always, because it's open source, it's available on request.)

I consider code as art, in many ways.
Maybe I'll make something Fire Emblem-related* someday.

* (that isn't already FETO)

RE: Creative Drive - LaurelsandRoses - 03-31-2014

I never liked the art here much because it was ONLY spriting, roleplaying and comics. But, I guess my opinion is kind of invalid since I forbid myself from doing fan art in the first place. However, the only game I considered writing or drawing things for was Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu, which is my favorite game next to Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3.

I suppose I'm not too against actually programming a fan project a bit. I am learning C++ and XHTML + CSS and plan to learn Perl. Maybe Python and D++ as well, once I've got C++ nailed down a bit.

RE: Creative Drive - The Evil One - 04-01-2014

I used to be really quite into the creative side of things - writing godawful fanfiction, making semi-decent comics, etc. University took those urges and SHATTERED THEM LIKE GLASS. So much close reading of text, all the academic writings on various books that removed any sense of artistry just caused my creative impulses to wither and die (not helped by my infamously awful lack of self-motivatation).

I'm hoping they'll come back - I work as a journo scumbag now so hopefully that'll be the kick-start I need to properly get back into writing again. The return of the RP here will be another huge boon, because FEPGen1 was probably the best thing that happened to me as far as writing went. As for comics, I did one a couple of months ago that was surprisingly enjoyable to make. If I get any more ideas then who knows?