The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 46 - File: global.php(816) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(816) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error
/global.php 816 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 874 - File: global.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 874 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5014 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5014 errorHandler->error
/global.php 874 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 6953 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 6953 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5041 is_member
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 6953 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 6953 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5041 is_member
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 1399 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1399 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 1354 fetch_forum_permissions
/printthread.php 83 forum_permissions
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 174 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 174 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 179 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 179 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 174 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 179 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

FEPlanet Community
Book Suggestions? - Printable Version

+- FEPlanet Community (http://forums.feplanet.net)
+-- Forum: Et Cetera (http://forums.feplanet.net/forum-12.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (http://forums.feplanet.net/forum-15.html)
+--- Thread: Book Suggestions? (/thread-763.html)

Book Suggestions? - Mizu - 05-14-2015

I'm on the last book in the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. Now I have nothing to read. Lol

I'm into mostly horror/psychological/tragedy. Honestly at this point I'm looking for just about anything though.

Any books you've read and liked? No detailed summaries, please. I try not to read the back cover with the info. on it because I always feel like it spoils the book.

Suggestions are appreciated, even if it's just the title and author.

RE: Book Suggestions? - Vexatious - 06-22-2015

A book suggestion thread with no responses? Well that just won't do.

First and foremost, if you like horror in any regard give Stephen King a read. A lot of his books can get really out there, but also shake you up pretty bad (Think Misery as an example) Salem's lot is also good for this. Not horror, but I'd put my entire weight behind recommending would be The Stand (post-apocalyptic survival story) and The Dark Tower series (in my opinion the best book series ever and to even start explaining what it's about would be spoiling things) Sticking back to your original topics, his short stories are much more in that vein and I'd suggest a collection called Everything's Eventual. Lots of messed up stuff in that one it's great.

Looking at the Mortal Instruments (I've never read them mind you) they appear to be young adult lit (which is awesome, no worries) so I would suggest the Uglies series (Uglies, Pretties, and Specials) as a cool and fun series to read. Obviously the Hunger Games is a must in that particular genre, but I assume everyone has seen the movies by now. This goes the same for Maze Runner series.

Oh, also Poe of course, but no need to stay to what you most likely read in school (Such as The Fall of the House of Usher which I'm not a huge fan) The Black Cat is a really messed up story of his and a fantastic short read, as are The Masque of the Red Death and The Premature Burial. I would also recommend The Imp of the Perverse (and if you have time for a longer novella piece by Poe) as well as The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym. Probably my favorite Poe piece is How to Write a Blackwoods Article, but that is satire and I'm not sure that's what you're looking for. Certainly check out Poe though!

Lastly, I'm just going to throw Neil Gaiman out there, because he's fantastic and a joy to read. He's pretty strictly fantasy, but his stories can get very bizarre and mind bending when you find the good ones. I'd recommend the Graveyard Book and Good Omens (a joint novel written with the now deceased Terry Pratchett) as far as novels go (Oh, and Neverwhere! Almost forgot that one) and look into a short story collection by the name of Fragile Things. There are some really creepy and crazy stories in that collection.

Anyway, giant tirade of a post. Hopefully I've given you at least one thing enjoyable to read!

RE: Book Suggestions? - Jack - 06-22-2015

If you haven't read it, give Fight Club a read. Even if you've seen the movie, it reads totally different. Also Kite Runner. That book affected me more than any other book, also it made my mom cry. Both are really intense books, especially Kite Runner.

RE: Book Suggestions? - Mizu - 06-22-2015

Vex: I've read just about everything Stephen King has ever written. Lol My mom liked him so she owned a lot of his books; I grew up reading his stuff. I've kept up with him because I do enjoy his work. I actually own the Dark Tower series but I have yet to read it. I have no idea why I haven't, I guess I just never got around to it. XD

Also, holy bonkers. I wasn't expecting much of a response to this thread but that's fantastic. I'll read everything you suggested that I haven't already. I love reading but I haven't really been able to choose anything for lack of suggestions; I have no idea where to start or what to look at. XD You've been very helpful and I very much appreciate it.~ ^.^

Jack: I actually read Kite Runner when you suggested it a few years ago on old FEP. I think it was way back in the eleventh grade or something. Rofl Also, I have seen the movie but I will give Fight Club a chance. ^.^

RE: Book Suggestions? - Jack - 06-23-2015

Fight Club is a pretty short book, around 200 pages or so I think, if I remember correctly. You could probably bang it out in a night no problem.

RE: Book Suggestions? - Vexatious - 06-23-2015

(06-22-2015, 11:04 PM)Mizu Wrote: Vex: I've read just about everything Stephen King has ever written. Lol My mom liked him so she owned a lot of his books; I grew up reading his stuff. I've kept up with him because I do enjoy his work. I actually own the Dark Tower series but I have yet to read it. I have no idea why I haven't, I guess I just never got around to it. XD

Also, holy bonkers. I wasn't expecting much of a response to this thread but that's fantastic. I'll read everything you suggested that I haven't already. I love reading but I haven't really been able to choose anything for lack of suggestions; I have no idea where to start or what to look at. XD You've been very helpful and I very much appreciate it.~ ^.^

As a fairly avid reader and English major, happy to help! Honestly, if you're a big fan of King and own (yet haven't read) the Dark Tower series, just start there. There are eight books now (Wind in the Keyhole, set between books five and six is optional, but a good read) and will last you quite a bit. I really can't recommend anything higher than that series.

Also, Fight Club is quite good. If we're getting into what I would consider modern classics, I'd also throw in things like 1984 and Brave New World. 1984 is a bit hard to get through, not because of density, but rather, that book is all kinds of messed up and will honestly terrify you in ways you never thought you could be scared. At least it did for me haha

RE: Book Suggestions? - Andy - 06-27-2015

I tried reading King's 'Eyes of the Dragon,' just to see what his fantasy stories are like. Sad to say, but I got bored of it so quickly I didn't finish chapter 1. I literally fell asleep.

I'm more of a fantasy guy. I've got two series to recommend.

The Obsidian Mountain Trilogy, by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory, and the Noble Dead Saga by Barb and JC Hendee.

Obsidian Mountain trilogy is long (Like, 850 pages or so each book) but is an amazing high fantasy epic featuring some of the darkest, most powerful, and most obscene villains I've ever read of.

The Noble Dead Saga's books are easier to digest (~400 pages to a book) but it's also got more books. They're a mix between High Fantasy and Dark Fantasy, and that's one of the things I love about it: Elves, Dwarves, Sylphs, Lava people, Merfolk, AND Vampires, Ghosts, Zombies, etc. And all of it ties into a dark, overarching narrative regarding the state of the world and the gods and beings beyond it.