The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 46 - File: global.php(816) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(816) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error
/global.php 816 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 874 - File: global.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 874 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5014 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5014 errorHandler->error
/global.php 874 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 6953 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 6953 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5041 is_member
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 6953 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 6953 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5041 is_member
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 1399 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1399 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 1354 fetch_forum_permissions
/printthread.php 83 forum_permissions
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 174 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 174 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 179 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 179 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 174 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 179 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

FEPlanet Community
Cleanup of old battles - Printable Version

+- FEPlanet Community (http://forums.feplanet.net)
+-- Forum: Fire Emblem (http://forums.feplanet.net/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Fire Emblem Tactics Online (http://forums.feplanet.net/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: Cleanup of old battles (/thread-752.html)

Cleanup of old battles - MMM - 05-03-2015

I probably really don't have to justify this much. Anyway, there are some battles that you can just tell are never going to end and many others that were never started, some of which are about to celebrate their 7th anniversary of being posted...

Of course, theoretically I could just let them be, but I have only just observed that some of the new players were actually joining some of those battles, where I am referring to those that are at least 2 months old. I think it's possible that the mere fact that these battles then just don't happen is one of the factors that causes some players to spend no more than a couple days on FETO, and if not it'll at least save them some time :P

Just thought I'd point that out, but you decide whether it's worth the effort to clean those old battles up...

RE: Cleanup of old battles - Falaflame - 05-04-2015

It's definitely worth the cleanup. This has been an issue for seemingly forever (the posted battles especially), and nobody really came to a decision on what to do with those battles that would never start.

I'll have a talk with fensti and see what he can do about it. And check with siro to see if it's the server is physically feasible for such a cleanup. A clean page with no battles on it looks a hell of a lot better than 7 pages of absolutely nothing going on, but that's just my opinion. I wonder if they think otherwise.

But battles that have been going on for at least longer than 6 months should end, I agree. I don't care if angry emails get sent. Having these many battles with a whole lot of nothing going on is just ugly.

RE: Cleanup of old battles - MMM - 05-04-2015

(05-04-2015, 07:01 AM)Falaflame Wrote: It's definitely worth the cleanup. This has been an issue for seemingly forever (the posted battles especially), and nobody really came to a decision on what to do with those battles that would never start.

I'll have a talk with fensti and see what he can do about it. And check with siro to see if it's the server is physically feasible for such a cleanup. A clean page with no battles on it looks a hell of a lot better than 7 pages of absolutely nothing going on, but that's just my opinion. I wonder if they think otherwise.

Good to know I'm not the only one who thinks that way.

(05-04-2015, 07:01 AM)Falaflame Wrote: But battles that have been going on for at least longer than 6 months should end, I agree. I don't care if angry emails get sent. Having these many battles with a whole lot of nothing going on is just ugly.

Honestly I doubt that even one of those angry emails will get sent by people who started those battles as all of them together have been active about once in the last month, at best. And even if they do they could have just done the battle, requested it to end or forfeited, all the options are there.

RE: Cleanup of old battles - Falaflame - 05-04-2015

Well since you put it that way, you are right. Most of the people whose battles would have been deleted probably aren't around to care anyway. Tongue

RE: Cleanup of old battles - fensti - 05-05-2015

I can probably cleanup the old battles through SaS's account. Just need to find the time to do so. Maybe Friday morning. I think I meant to do it at some point in the past, but just never got around to it.

RE: Cleanup of old battles - Falaflame - 05-06-2015

Is there a set cutoff time of which you can clean up unstarted battles, fensti? Like, is 6 months from now a decent point to stop?

Edit: When you do this though, be sure not to delete existing battles though! Make sure to just cancel them!

RE: Cleanup of old battles - fensti - 05-08-2015

6 months back sounds like a reasonable amount of time.

RE: Cleanup of old battles - MMM - 05-13-2015

Hate to do this, but is the cleanup still going to be done? Or is it not possible? Or is it just general lack of time (which I'd completely understand) that is keeping you from doing this?
Also, if you'll allow me to do so, I would like to suggest to enforce setting some time limit on every battle as well, since this would allow some of the battles I addressed to come to an end eventually, if only one participant goes inactive.

RE: Cleanup of old battles - Falaflame - 05-14-2015

I don't think such an option exists currently, and it would have to be coded in, which as of right now, only one person can do. And I'm not so sure he's figured out the coding entirely just yet, nor has the interest in doing so yet either. We still need new developers on hand.

RE: Cleanup of old battles - MMM - 05-14-2015

(05-14-2015, 07:58 AM)Falaflame Wrote: I don't think such an option exists currently, and it would have to be coded in, which as of right now, only one person can do. And I'm not so sure he's figured out the coding entirely just yet, nor has the interest in doing so yet either. We still need new developers on hand.

Finding developers has been a gigantic mess for us. Considering the state of the site, and the fact we have such a massive ripped and modified sprite display, it will cause major legal problems if we decide to pay a developer to revamp the site for us. Revamping the site wouldn't be so difficult if we were able to offer up cash to pay a professional to do it for us, or give him a monthly salary or something should he be OK with maintaining the site. But because of legal issues, we're forced to have to find someone who'd be willing to do it free of charge.

And finding that person is a total bitch.

Ah yeah, that thing...

(07-10-2014, 05:10 AM)sirocyl Wrote: - If you know PHP, HTML, CSS, JS, and SQL then you'll fit right in.

I actually thought about joining in but I'm kind of reluctant about it. I mean I'm not really sure, I've recently done Java and SQL tables and queries, as well as a bit of PHP, HTML and CSS at school (where it was basically "copy this text from a book and make sure you don't forget any commas and whitespaces" and when I did forget one it took me 3 weeks to find my mistake Confused) but I'm only really confident in Java and I'm not sure if I've done anything else at a high enough level to get anything going here...

RE: Cleanup of old battles - fensti - 05-14-2015

It's mostly lack of time that is causing it to not be done. I work full time at a supermarket so my schedule bounces around. I'm also in process of trying to find a better job. Once I get that job I'll be able to schedule my time better and dedicate a day or two to getting all the battles cleared out. It doesn't look like it is causing any stress on the server so I'm not too worried about getting it taken care of.

As for enforcing a time limit, I wish it had been done when the game was first created, but it wasn't. I could look into changing that as I have an idea as to what to do, but don't have the time to test it and such now. Also don't want to mess up the entire site in the process.