developers(); DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS. (Recruiting!) - Printable Version
+- FEPlanet Community (http://forums.feplanet.net)
+-- Forum: Site Matters (http://forums.feplanet.net/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Announcements and News (http://forums.feplanet.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: developers(); DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS. (Recruiting!) (/thread-395.html)
Pages: 1 2
DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS. (Recruiting!) - sirocyl - 07-10-2014
Want to join the FEPlanet/FETO dev team? Tinker with the code? Improve the site and the game?
We're opening up development in an invite-only private group first, and will later open the source and development once it's production-ready.
We're looking for:
- Testers willing to report bugs and work with us on making the platform better.
- Anyone may apply!
- You will get access to secret beta/alpha builds deployed on the server, and be able to submit bug reports on the bug tracker.
- Developers willing to get their hands dirty in the code that drives FEPlanet, and submit changes too.
- If you know PHP, HTML, CSS, JS, and SQL then you'll fit right in.
- Bonus points for webGL, audio/video, responsive design and other "HTML5"-ish things.
- We have a number of projects inherited from FEPlanet which need some retooling, including a game, a chat system, a forum, a website/CMS, and a media depot.
- You will have access to review the source, and submit code patches for integration into the running beta, and eventually the final project.
If you think you're up to the task, post here or PM me!
I'll let you know if you've been approved to join the development.
You will need a Gitlab account if you're approved.
If you are selected, just send me your Gitlab account name, and I'll add you to your group.
I'll then send you a link to the project, the beta/alpha build, and any passwords or information necessary.
RE: DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS. (Recruiting!) - awesomeisawesome - 07-10-2014
i have no coding experience but i love the franchise and if i can i would love to be a beta tester also please activate my acount http://oldforums.feplanet.net/index.php?showuser=90334
RE: DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS. (Recruiting!) - Breadophile - 07-10-2014
As above, minus the account activation and bad spelling parts.
Though do you mind if I took a crack at the code? It's sort of hard to just learn coding without some sort of project to push you along.
RE: DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS. (Recruiting!) - Fredmir - 07-10-2014
I'd be able to do both I guess,
- If you know PHP, HTML, CSS, JS, and SQL then you'll fit right in.
I 'Know' them without having a lots of experience, cause I got injured while having my class on that and couldn't really type, so my partner did all the typing in our homeworks.
If anything I'm not losing anything trying I guess? If I fail I can just get in a corner and cry xP
RE: DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS. (Recruiting!) - Speedy - IX - 07-10-2014
Sign me up for both~
I'm usually able to manipulate code regardless of the type (not keen on coding from scratch though). Took some coding in college, and used to/still kinda do some on the side for my rpg, so I won't be completely out of the loop.
RE: DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS. (Recruiting!) - ElcX - 07-10-2014
Hi, I know HTML and am still learning coding, I'd be interested in helping work on the reboot of Fire Emblem Tactics Online, and helping to test, write/replace outdated code. I'm not experienced but this would be a good first step for me. Anyway if you are looking for help message me and provide some details. -Kody
RE: DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS. (Recruiting!) - Nolan Kryptonite - 07-10-2014
I can do both as well, although it's been a while since I did any coding stuffz...
RE: DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS. (Recruiting!) - sirocyl - 07-11-2014
Wow, the response was larger than I expected!
If you're interested in either beta testing, code review, or development, please register on Gitlab >here< and PM me your username.
Add in the PM whether you want to be on the review, development, or testing team.
I will run the approvals by the other admins first, before accepting them.
Once approved, you will be added to the respective group on Gitlab.
Your position may be different from the one you apply for. You might request a developer position, but be placed in review instead, or ask for review and be placed in testing.
You may not get the position you requested, but almost everyone should be able to be added to the beta/test team.
A lot of tl;dr follows, so I'll summarize it here:
We're looking for Testers to find and report issues, Reviewers to check those reports and write code to solve the issues, and Developers to sift through issues, merge patches into the code and keep things clean.
If you're a Reviewer or Developer, you may not share the code, or use it in your own project, without clearance from the owners and codemasters.
If there's any questions, feel free to ask! I will begin uploading the code shortly and posting a number of known bugs and features into the Issues pages.
LONG BORING TEXT LOL
The positions are as follows, and roughly parallel Gitlab's permissions tiers (https://gitlab.com/help/permissions/permissions).
- Testers (Gitlab "Guests", Bravo Team) can submit issue reports for bugs or features, and leave comments on reports and code.
Testers review the beta and release versions, and submit issue reports.
- Reviewers (Gitlab "Reporters", Charlie Team) can do what Testers can, and additionally, download the code for personal review, or use Git to pull and refresh their local code.
Reviewers can also submit code snippets, either as part of a bug report or otherwise.
Reviewers review the Testers' issue reports, find the issues, and write code patches to fix them, if a Developer hasn't claimed it already.
- Developers (Gitlab "Developers", Delta team) can do what Reviewers can, and additionally, merge and branch code, write documentation, push changes/additions to code (on non-protected branches), and manage the issue tracker.
Developers review the Reviewer's patches and code, make sure it's good to add into the project, and keep things clean.
Positions already filled for now, include:
- Codemasters (Gitlab "Masters", Echo team) are in charge of reviewing the Developer's branches, merging code into the production branch, managing team members and access permissions, and managing the project.
- Owners (Gitlab "Owners", Foxtrot team) can bring up new FEPdev projects, shut down projects, transfer project ownership, and this position overlaps with FEPlanet sysadmin/sysop.
The project owners, ultimately deploy the production code onto the server. If anything needs review or changing, they should post the changes into the project on the development branch.
Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, and Foxtrot define access/clearance levels (Beta, Code, Development, Executive, Full), and teams may be referred to by their clearance.
Communication is key, and I will be setting up a common forum between development and testing.
Eventually, if and when the code is open-sourced, these roles may change.
Developers, you will need to
Most of the source manipulation on the repository is done through Git, on a command-line.
Even if you don't know git, I will be able to help, and you can still get an archive of the code to review locally.
There may be graphical tools for your platform to perform Git functions from the desktop.
There are plenty of resources for learning and using Git efficiently, as linked above.
GNU, Linux or UNIX-compatible (Mac OS X and Haiku included) OS is recommended, but not at all required.
Git runs on Windows with minimum hassle, too.
I recommend setting up a good dev workspace in a new empty folder, and if you plan on getting all of the source, including assets and media, 10 GB of free HDD space is recommended.
If you don't want to deal with the hassle of running Git, you can still view and access the code through the web interface, but options may be limited.
Instructions for developers and reviewers to host a local code-testing environment (Windows or Unix-compatible) are to come as soon as I get it working on my end.
FEPlanet uses PHP on Apache with MySQL, and runs on an x86-64 GNU-Linux OS (LAMP stack). You should be able to replace Linux with Windows or another OS without breaking FEPlanet software.
Testers should not need to use Git directly, as Gitlab provides a web-based interface for reporting and collaborating on bugs and features.
Finally, some boilerplate terms and conditions:
Any of these terms may change, with or without notice, in the future.
Your acceptance into the tester program grants you access to unreleased versions of FEPlanet's software.
You can talk about beta/alpha, and invite people to be approved to access it, just don't share your account (password, access) with other people.
Your acceptance into the developer or reviewer programs, and joining the FEPlanet Developer Team, is governed by the following terms.
Sending the PM to request to join as a developer or reviewer, indicates your acceptance of these terms:
- The code is curated by the "codemasters" of FEPdev, and owned by fensti and siro.
- You may not disclose, leak, communicate or correlate the FEPlanet, FETO or related code on the repository (hereafter, "code") to any party/parties outside of the Developers, Codemasters and Owners of FEPdev, or use the code for a personal project which duplicates or extends FEPlanet or FETO, unless strictly and unanimously approved by the codemasters and owners.
- (Pertaining to FETO) You may not use your knowledge of the code, or request a modification to the production code, to grant yourself an uncompetitive advantage over other users of FETO.
This does not include game mechanics which have been documented already.
Finally, a note about code licenses:
- Certain code deployed on FEPlanet, is "free software" by origin, under a "viral" license, such as GPL, LGPL or Affero-GPL. FEPdev's codemasters will respect and honor any requests, by anyone, with no discrimination, for GPL-covered code on a case-by-case basis as required by the license.
Provided code may remove, or make empty/default, configuration files which contain secret information, such as database credentials.
RE: DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS. (Recruiting!) - fensti - 07-11-2014
Just as an aside, Gitlab is connected to Google (and I think a couple other sites), so if you have a Gmail account then you're good to go for signing up!
RE: DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS. (Recruiting!) - CaptainGreene - 07-15-2014
As much as I'd like to apply as a reviewer, I'm going to restrict myself to tester, for now. Can I test FETO 3.0. Huh? Can I? Can I please? I'll go see about a GitLab account right now.
RE: DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS. (Recruiting!) - Falaflame - 08-19-2014
bumping this since its way more important than an outdated announcement
RE: DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS. (Recruiting!) - Bonehead - 12-06-2014
I would like to sign up Unless it's too late lol-Bonehead
RE: DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS. (Recruiting!) - Bonehead - 12-07-2014
I would like to sign up Is that the only way to play the game or...? Cause I cant find the actual download...lemme know -
RE: DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS. (Recruiting!) - fensti - 12-07-2014
The game is located here (http://feto.feplanet.net/). You have to sign up on the other forums then request on this thread to get your account activated there. You don't have to download anything to play the game.
RE: DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS. (Recruiting!) - Eulogy - 01-14-2015
(07-10-2014, 05:10 AM)sirocyl Wrote: Want to join the FEPlanet/FETO dev team? Tinker with the code? Improve the site and the game?
I know this is outdated, but if youre still looking for beta testers, i would like to volunteer myself
RE: DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS. (Recruiting!) - sirocyl - 01-16-2015
It may not have had any progress since I made the announcement (I do apologize) but I am still accepting applications, don't worry.
I have a lot of other things that need to be done before I can kick this off proper, but they're progressing at their own pace.
RE: DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS. (Recruiting!) - Aciel - 03-31-2015
Are positions still open to beta testers?
RE: DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS. (Recruiting!) - sirocyl - 06-22-2015
Positions are and remain open for now, until otherwise noted.
Just post if you want to contribute/join.
Small progress update: Going to start downloading the code and sectioning it off, auditing it for "secrets", and then uploading it all to Gitlab in the coming weeks.
RE: DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS. (Recruiting!) - Speedchain - 09-12-2015
I have no knowledge of coding, but I could probably help out as a beta tester.
RE: DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS. (Recruiting!) - Speedy - IX - 06-22-2016
In case people were wondering, this is still open! (Currently managed by Fensti and myself)