The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 46 - File: global.php(816) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(816) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error
/global.php 816 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 874 - File: global.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 874 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5014 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5014 errorHandler->error
/global.php 874 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 6953 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 6953 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5041 is_member
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 6953 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 6953 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5041 is_member
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 1399 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1399 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 1354 fetch_forum_permissions
/printthread.php 83 forum_permissions
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(261) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(261) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 261 eval
/printthread.php 124 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 174 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 174 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 179 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 179 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 174 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 179 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

FEPlanet Community
[IRP] The First of Many - Printable Version

+- FEPlanet Community (http://forums.feplanet.net)
+-- Forum: Fire Emblem (http://forums.feplanet.net/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Roleplays (http://forums.feplanet.net/forum-9.html)
+---- Forum: Fire Emblem: Insurrection (http://forums.feplanet.net/forum-28.html)
+---- Thread: [IRP] The First of Many (/thread-255.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: The First of Many - Breadophile - 06-19-2014

"A few things for you, Pegasus Rider. First off, I seem to remember that you took off with the supposed sword during the commotion. I would like to see it. I assume it is of little value. If the bandits actually had a sword of that merit, which I doubt, they would first try and sell it for more then this town would give them for their lie."

"Little value, what?"

The pegasus snorted as if to say "Take a closer look."

"...what?"

She examined the blade a little bit more. She tried scratching at it.

"Wha...? Hey, it's just paint! That asshole, pretending to have a real legendary sword. I'll show him how very real the business end of my lance is."

The tall blonde woman got back on topic.

"Secondly you mentioned that the approaching bandits had archers as you passed me earlier. Did your survey figure out their number? That would be useful information."

"There's two archers and a sniper. The sniper is deadly accurate."

She shuddered, remembering her life flashing before her eyes.

"I saw about 9 others, including Grass. They were wielding swords and axes."

"Xs and Os, what is this, Ilian ball? Oh wait, it's a plan. I learned about those in training. Looks like you want some us to create a diversion. It would be an interesting plan, but this Grass guy is a con man. He's probably clever and will expect this, especially if I don't show up, which means I sort of have to."

"Most of his men are probably idiots though. If some of us could bait them into giving chase against his orders the rest could ambush them from inside the houses. Never underestimate the stupidity of a pissed off person."

"We could also just call the police. That's the sort of the go-to thing in Ilia, though I'm not sure if it'll work here, seeing as how they didn't do enough to prevent the brigands from making an organized gang."

"If the villagers helped us, we could wrap this up in an hour."

Her optimism was showing...

RE: The First of Many - Toogee - 06-19-2014

Paige was glad to hear so many ideas coming from the others, albeit contradicting at times. Orica wanted more people guarding the front, while Satsume proposed himself as the sole defender of the gate. Kalin wanted to allow the brigands inside and ambush them in the houses, something that wasn’t widely supported by those living in said houses.

“I’ll be damned if we let any of those brigands step foot in our village again,” the blacksmith replied. “If it’s forces you need, we’ll glad defend our own. Whatever I have in my shop is yours, within reason of course. My horse too if you need it.” The last part was directed at Shad.

Many of the villagers saw the blacksmith as a leader of sorts, causing six other men to stand up and volunteer. One of them was just a boy.

“I can’t fight, but I’m the fastest rider in this village!” the boy announced. “There’s a knight’s post not far from here. Hold ‘em off for a bit, and you’ll have the legendary Pheraen cavalry back you up in no time! How’s that for police!” His volunteering wasn’t so much bravery as it was a hopeful attempt to impress Kalin; the 14 year old had a thing for peg knights.

“Glad for your help, all of you,” Paige replied to the villagers as well as her fellow travelers. “Now, I think I can compromise between Satsume’s plan and yours,” she said to Satsume and Orica. “What if we had Satsume openly guarding the entrance while another force stays hidden close by. Then, when the bandits charge forth, this force will join Satsume and attack from the front. This will be enough of a distraction for our force from behind to initiate a surprise attack from the side.”

She edited the sketch to resemble the additional forces:

[Image: Firstsketch_zpsfb8d7ef5.png]

“I think that addresses most concerns. A lone defender to provide an opportunity, surprise reinforcement in the front to distract them, a larger ambush force, and hopefully, the promise of Pheraen knights for back up. Did I miss anything?”

The villagers seemed satisfied enough. The volunteers immediately set out to arm themselves. The blacksmith lead the way, glad that he prepared an extra batch of iron swords and axes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Gee boss, maybe we should call off the attack. They do have the legendary blade after all…”

The brigands were gathered around Glass to receive his sagely advice. They surprised to see him calm and determined.

“That blade is only legendary in the hands of those in my bloodline,” Glass said. “To everyone else, it is but a simple sword. Besides, do you really think I came all this way with just one weapon?”

“You have another legendary weapon?!”

“I have something just as rare in these lands…”

Glass held out his hand to the brigands. They were confused at first, seeing nothing. Then, flames formed in his palm until a raging inferno enveloped his entire hand. The bandits took a step back, afraid of getting burned by the growing flame. Just as it appeared, it disappeared, leaving Glass’s hand untouched. The brigands were smiling at the new weapon in their arsenal.

“Let’s see how brave these people are when I rain hellfire upon their little town! They will either kneel to my words or die by my fire and your iron! Now, here is the plan…”

RE: The First of Many - Lavi - 06-19-2014

There is no doubt that leaving only one man to defend the gate is risky, but if Satsume willingly volunteered to perform the most dangerous job, he probably is the most competent one for that task. His suit of armor certainly would augment that belief.

Neil nodded at the revised plan that Paige designed on the chalkboard. It is an excellent compromise.

"This is probably our best shot. In order to win, we need to be the ones to strike first. The flanking maneuver would be able to maintain pressure on the brigands when the gate defenders go on the offensive," he said.

"I do have a horse of my own, so I can share room on the ambush team. However, you have to be able to ride without a saddle: no exceptions," Neil continued, addressing Shad's request.

RE: The First of Many - Breadophile - 06-20-2014

“I can’t fight, but I’m the fastest rider in this village! There’s a knight’s post not far from here. Hold ‘em off for a bit, and you’ll have the legendary Pheraen cavalry back you up in no time! How’s that for police?”

"If the bandit group is any indication, they have their hands full already."

Kalin had heard stories that Lycia was always under attack by bandits. They certainly seemed true. She thought to herself.

This kind of shit never happens in Ilia.

"Still! Might as well go! It'd be a waste if we didn't get help when it was available. A horse-lance-sword guy wouldn't have to worry at all about the bow guys, sword guys, and axe guys."

“I’ll be damned if we let any of those brigands step foot in our village again. If it’s forces you need, we’ll glad defend our own. Whatever I have in my shop is yours, within reason of course. My horse too if you need it.”

Guess I can't blame him for knocking my plan. Looking back I don't think I'd do it either.

"Do you uh... have a sleep staff and a person to use it? Wishful thinking."

Kalin responded to Neil and Paige.

"I doubt a pegasus flying around trying to stay hidden is going to bode well; at least... now that they're expecting me."

"I could travel on the ground. The curse of flight doesn't hurt as much if you're not actually flying. Still hurts though..." She shuddered. "Dunno if that'll give away our position. I suppose this guy walking around wouldn't make too much noise if we went slowly."

RE: The First of Many - Swift_Assassin - 06-20-2014

Finally, the plan came together. With the red-haired man taking the responsibility of being bait, that allows them to work on the ambush. The one thing needed was a mode of transportation for him, but two options presented themselves to him. He can take the blacksmith's horse and ride solo or ride along with Neil without a saddle. He wasn't sure if Neil would even be able to fight, but he didn't want to risk the blacksmith's own steed, especially if he might need it in his day-to-day work.

Before he decided though, a boy had suggested he ride to Pharae's knight post and get reinforcements. And why? Because the pegasus knight had made the suggestion of police. Police wasn't exactly common where he was. The job was either taken on by the household guard of the lord of the town, local militia, or both. But now...there probably are police littered throughout Etruria, seizing magic tomes for destruction, arresting practitioners in hiding and monitoring any rebellious elements.

"Actually, yes. You did miss one thing. I didn't come this far into Lycia alone," Shad started answering Paige before turning his attention back to the boy. "Boy, before you go. If you see a man on the road, wearing a black hooded cloak, scarred face and obscured eye, tell him his friend had a terrible idea. He should get the reference," Shad relayed to the boy. "He'll be able to help reinforce us. He's as good as Pharae's own Sir Marcus."

He took a couple steps towards Neil, unaware of his combat prowess. "I'm not opposed to riding bareback. But I'd rather risk harm to the blacksmith's horse than risk your own life. Would you be able to contribute to ambush in a more direct way than just bringing me there?" He shrugged at the Sacaen. "That's not meant to be an insult or anything, but I haven't seen a demonstration of your skills."

RE: The First of Many - Cevian - 06-21-2014

Orica listened to the group's reactions to her suggestions on strategy as a plan began to fall more in to place. There was just one issue, for herself at least, that she needed to address before they put it in to action. She pointed to the entrance to town again.

"This plan is shaping up nicely, but I have a bit of a personal issue with it. As it stands everyone but this man," She motions to Satsume, "Would be participating in one ambush or another. While I am not opposed to ambushes on principle, as they are a way to show tactical strength to use ones forces in such a way to achieve victory, I personally prefer to not be an active participant in them. It is part of my personal code of strength that, unless it is impossible, I do not hide from my enemy the fact that I am preparing to attack them. If I am strong enough to fight them, then I am strong enough to do it head on and not from the shadows."

She turned to look at Satsume. "So, I request that I join you in holding the front gate from out in the open. If we are dedicating to an ambush and a flank attack then one or two would seem roughly the same amount of suspicious."

RE: The First of Many - Toogee - 06-22-2014

"Many of the villagers will have their horses, so it shouldn't be a problem to have a peg grounded," Paige said to Kalin. "I would of course recommend staying on the ground until the archers are dispatched."

The boy listened carefully at Shad's description of the potential ally. He sounded like a guy he would normally avoid, yet the village needed all the help they could get. The boy nodded and headed out of the building to prepare his steed.

Meanwhile, Paige listened to the conversation between Shad and Neil. Brave as Neil was, he didn't show any skills with weapons. Still, his ability to ride was useful enough. If Shad didn't ride with Neil, she would. Otherwise, she would have to ride with Kalin again *gulp*.

The librarian wasn't able to say anything as she was still discussing revisions with Orica and Satsume. Orica wanted to guard the front with Satsume and Paige couldn't help but agree. Her heavy armor was more suited for the latter; the heavy clanking would only give them away too soon.

"I'm OK with that as long as Satsume is," Paige replied to Orica.

RE: The First of Many - WyvernSlayer - 06-22-2014

"Fine by me," Satsume replied. He shot a look at Orica. "Just don't do anything foolish. You want to meet the foe head-on. Honor and glory and all that nonsense. I get it." He reached in his back pocket and pulled out a small pouch of tobacco. His other hand found his pipe in his other pocket, and as his hands began filling his pipe, he maintained eye contact with the fearsome blond woman.

"But just so you know; an ambush isn't cowardice - it's tactics." He turned back to Paige. "Very well. She and I will hold the gate." He stepped away from the front of the classroom and headed for the door. He lit his pipe as he opened the door and moved out into the sunlight.

"Meet you out there!" He called back to Orica, as he slammed the door shut behind him and started heading for the outskirts of the village.

RE: The First of Many - Lavi - 06-24-2014

((Sorry for being brief with this post. Busy IRL, though I want to get the IC response out of the way.))

Neil waved off the concern over his combat prowess. "I've hunted game in the plains plenty of times: my bow is with the horse. I'll be fine."

Even so, he wasn't sure whether he would actually be fine: Neil never actually been to battle before so his knowledge of things is mainly restricted to whatever common sense he could deduce.

RE: The First of Many - Toogee - 06-26-2014

“While Satsume and Orica set up in the front, the rest of us should plan on who is taking what position.”

As Paige was preparing to get units filled, a strange whirling sound filled the air. It became louder and louder in the span of a few seconds. Before Paige could figure out what the sound was, something crashed into the roof of the schoolhouse. Paige had to stabilize herself with a nearby desk to avoid falling over from the impact. The remaining villagers inside were visibly panicked; several screamed at the shock of a giant flaming rock embedded in the ceiling. The ceiling creaked as it struggled to support the meteor that had crashed into them. Smoke billowed from the ceiling as the people inside came to the realization that the roof was on fire.

“Everybody out!” cried one of the villagers. Almost the entire room rushed for the single exit, eliciting more screams from the masses. Paige made sure to keep near the desks to avoid getting trampled. She knew that it wouldn’t do any good if they all crammed the only door. Either the smoke would suffocate them or the damaged roof would cave in.

Paige took note of the two windows on the same wall as the door and grabbed a chair. She slammed the chair into the window, shattering the glass. The woman cleared out the remaining glass on the frame to finish up a makeshift exit. Paige picked up a small child and set her outside. She helped the child’s mother afterwards before alerting the panicked masses.

“Stay calm! Only so many can fit through that door!”
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back outside, the blacksmith and the other men watched in horror as the place where their loved were hidden ignited. Whatever battle fervor they had was lost as the threat to them escalated. They all abandoned their posts to help evacuate the school. The only exception was the messenger boy. That was no ordinary fire: that was a spell. The Pheraen knights may have been their only hope at this point, so he continued onward.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“GLASS! GLASS! GLASS! GLASS! GLASS!”

The band of brigands cried out the name of their leader, the wielder of the Meteor tome. With this power, no village would dare oppose them!

“They will know why the gods still fear the name of Glass!” Glass announced, preparing another volley of Meteor for the village.

RE: The First of Many - Swift_Assassin - 06-27-2014

Neil's response was satisfied his question. He thought about it a bit, though. His clothes may be a bit bulky to ride with an archer. He turned to Paige as she said her last question. "Perhaps you should ride with-,"Shad was cut off as the roof began caving in from the impact of the meteor. He looked up and sighed. "Figures the first magic user I meet in Lycia is the reason why most magic was banned," He commented.

As the fire and smoke began to spread inside the school and Paige began the evacuation, Shad grabbed the Schiavona. He took the blade in his right hand and raised it in front of him. He began concentrating on the sword, on the magic within. Wind magic. He closed his eyes as the wind spell blew the fire and smoke inside the room to the far corner.

"The magic in this blade isn't that powerful." He began shouting. He called upon the magic in the blade once again and once again it blew back the fire and smoke. "Provided the roof doesn't collapse, this should give you the time to get them out," he yelled again. "Go with Neil and set up the ambush. It's going to take some time to get his horse through the hole in the gate. I'll hitch a ride on the pegasus once everyone has evacuated."

He looked back at her again as she helps people through the limited exits. "I'm truly sorry for this. Corralling everyone into this school, I mean. It's a terrible idea in hind sight," he laughed as his magic once again blew back the flames and smoke. "Marcus is never going to let me live this down if anyone dies."

RE: The First of Many - Breadophile - 06-27-2014

She heard a whirring sound, and then... flame, everywhere.

Kalin got a slight headache as the extreme heat got to her. It sucks being from the north. But it passed.

Why can't we blasted with slices of Ilian heaven? she thought sadly.

Did something explode? Did the blacksmith suddenly decide to make weapons and blow himself up in an accident? Could it be that the bandits halfway across ha-

"oooh shiiiit..." Ray has a tome that could do this from that range. Pleeeaaase don't tell me...

Back to reality, she noticed the smoke being blown into the corner just before she would've broken out into a coughing fit. She also saw Paige break the class with the chair and thought it was a good idea, breaking another window with the same method. Clearing away the glass she then jumped through it in one motion.

"Dumb move! You strain a muscle." a voice ringed out in her head as a sharp pain entered one of her legs.

"Fuck you NetHack this isn't the time. Screw these metal leggings. Whitey, sit down. I... messed up."

The pegasus sat down so Kalin could climb on board. Thankfully her leg didn't need to be in top shape to ride.

She went around front to herd the people trying to escape.

"That way that way! Towards the exit!" She said as she leaned over used her hands to re-position several people that ran out so that they ran towards the back entrance of the town. Hopefully the rest will get the memo.

Now let's get a better look.

She flew into the air and saw a distant flame being emitted from Grass's hands.

"Please tell me that was just a powder keg exploding..."

The pegasus couldn't lie here.

"Dammit!"

"What were those military tactics?... Right, right, now I remember. Hmm, I'll put my own spin on it. This is gonna hurt, but I guess shit just happens."

Another ball of flame and rock whizzed towards her, and more importantly, the town. She flew towards it, holding her lance somewhat like a bat (one hand at the end, the other hand somewhat near the middle).

"Oh boy, high stakes baseball. My favorite passtime." she said to herself and her pegasus as she whacked the ball of fire as hard as she could.

Typically one lances the meteor, but batting it seemed to work just fine, too. Except for one part that couldn't be avoided either way.

"NNNNGGGGRRRRAAAHHH!" she grunted as the fire and molten rock blew past her, splitting into chunks from both the bat and her pegasi's body. It mostly dissipated as it did this. Admittingly, just flying into the fire with the pegasus would've accomplished the same thing, but Kalin liked maintaining HP greater than zero.

"Well there goes ten or twenty points... Ow my head." It smelled slightly of charred pegasus but thankfully not like charred human (not much, anyway).

A couple insignificant chunks blew past Kalin. Mostly inconsequential, but perhaps a couple first or second degree burns may arise. Well, if I can take a blast of fire to the face they'll be FINE.

She quickly grabbed a vulnerary and shared it with her pegasus.

RE: The First of Many - Cevian - 06-27-2014

Satsume hadn't given Orica time to reply to him before running out of the school building. She had explained herself well but he had still taken what she said as being wrong. She rushed out after him in order to clarify things.

Running up next to him she started to speak. "I did say that ambushes are tactical not cowardice. In fact it is more cowardly to make such a false counter-comment to someone and then flee before they can explain their position."

As she spoke the meteor flew over them and landed behind them. "I will, however, give you a reprieve from an attempt to defend that cowardice due to the urgent reason we are advancing, but know that I do want an explanation. It is part of that same reason why I dislike to partake in an ambush. I endeavor to give someone the optimal ability to defend themselves against an assault. If they fail then it means they are truly not strong enough to have defended themselves."

RE: The First of Many - WyvernSlayer - 06-27-2014

Satsume was in the middle of a hit from his pipe when he heard footsteps behind him. He assumed it was Orica, out to join him at the gate, so he didn’t bother turning around. But then she spoke:

“I did say that ambushes are tactical, not cowardice. In fact, it is more cowardly to make such a false counter-comment to someone, and then flee before they can explain their position.”

Satsume stopped and gave her a hard look. He opened his mouth and prepared his response, but his words were interrupted by a whirling, whistling noise. Suddenly, the sound of a large impact followed, and it was soon accompanied by the sounds of screaming and shouting from all sides.

“Son of a BITCH!” Satsume exclaimed, hastily emptying his pipe of embers and instinctively reaching over his shoulder for his throwing spear. The schoolhouse now had a crude skylight, and smoke was pouring out of all open windows. So were people, desperate to escape the noxious fumes.

“I will, however, give you a reprieve from an attempt to defend that cowardice due to the urgent reason we are advancing, but do know that I want an explanation,” Orica said, keeping up with Satsume as the two of them picked up the pace towards the gate.

“Look, can we talk about this later?” Satsume shot back. They stopped just in front of the cobbled gate. Satsume peered ahead and saw what looked to be a similar lot to the group of swindlers that had caused a commotion in the town center a while earlier. They were rushing towards the town, shouting and baring their weapons for battle.

Orica’s voice raised as she spoke, but still retained her calm and staunch demeanor. “I endeavor to give someone the optimal ability to defend themselves against an assault. If they fail then it means they are truly not strong enough to have-”

“Listen,” Satsume interrupted her, “If you want to give ME the optimal ability to defend myself, you’ll stop giving me a hard time and help crush these cretins.” He brandished his throwing spear and settled into a fighting stance. “Now get ready! Here they come!”

RE: The First of Many - Cevian - 06-27-2014

"That was my intention," Orica said to Satsume as they reached the gate. She stopped next to him and looked out towards the charging bandits. Taking a hold of her spear she tapped it on a stone on the path underneath them to make a loud click.

"LISTEN, YOU GUTLESS DASTARDS!" She shouted at the oncoming horde of enemies. It seemed that she was very good at getting her voice to project to yell like that. "YOU ATTACK THIS VILLAGE WHILE IT WAS LEFT WEAK BY THE WEAKNESS OF OTHERS. YOU LIE AND PASS OFF CRUDELY MADE IMITATIONS TO COVER YOUR LIES! ONCE YOUR COWARDLY LIE WAS REVEALED YOU RAN AND BEGAN TO ATTACK THE VILLAGE THAT PROVED TO BE STRONGER THAN YOUR SCHEME INSTEAD OF ACCEPTING THAT YOU WERE NOT STRONG ENOUGH! I, ORICA OF THE LYCIAN HOUSE TANIA WILL NOT STAND BY THIS AFFRONT TO STRENGTH. IF YOU THINK YOURSELF STRONG ENOUGH TO TAKE THIS VILLAGE THEN YOU MUST GO THROUGH ME! IF YOU CANNOT DEAL WITH ONE PERSON WHO STANDS AGAINST YOU THEN YOU CANNOT CLAIM TO HAVE THE STRENGTH TO EVEN STEP FORTH INTO THIS VILLAGE! NOW, COME AT ME!"

Orica gripped her spear tightly and prepared for the onslaught of bandits.

RE: The First of Many - Lavi - 06-27-2014

In one moment, Neil was talking. The next, he found himself half-buried under the rubble. The Sacaean tried to pull himself out, but his legs were trapped under heavy wooden beams. Even with blurred vision, he could make out the others rushing to get out of the school; even if he couldn't blame them, Neil rasped as he tried to call one of their attention.

"Help..." he coughed. Even if the smoke was lingering above him, the fire from the Meteor spell was suffocating. He could barely breathe, let alone yell for help.

His hands scrambled to find something that he could use to get someone's attention and they came to rest around his knapsack. The shoulder straps broke loose in the fall and its contents were strewn over the floor.

Shit. The Flux and Luna tomes inside were open for all to see, too far to hide back into his bag. Is hiding the fact that he is actually a mage worth dying for?

"Be my guest in providing a solid argument as to why you care about calling it 'Elder magic,' then."

Cecily...

Neil couldn't tell whether it was that random thought or the flames licking his boots that reinvigorated his efforts to free himself. Grunting against the weight of the fallen supports, he slowly inched himself out of the rubble. But his strength exhausted itself before he could make it completely out.

"Someone...!" he managed to gasp.

RE: The First of Many - Toogee - 06-28-2014

Paige looked on as Shad unleashed a wind spell from his sword to push back the flames and smoke. She was unsure of the wisdom to openly use such magic, but she was glad he did. As far as Paige was concerned a random gust of wind saved them from the fire. It bought the woman enough time to organize the evacuation so everyone wouldn’t get stuck in the doorway.

“You didn’t know,” Paige responded to Shad’s apology. “Just concentrate on keeping that fire away. I’ll let Neil know of the change- Neil!”

Evidently, part of the roof did fall in, onto poor Neil. Paige ran across the room and knelt down to assist him. Though she could barely lift the beam, it was enough to push it off of Neil’s legs. She did not notice the books beside him; there wasn’t enough time to investigate what they were or who they belonged to. The creaking roof grew louder.

“Please tell me your legs aren’t broken,” Paige said to Neil, offering her arms to help him up. She did not have the strength to carry him out, especially with the heat growing stronger. She could certainly support him as a crutch however. Whatever the case, she would do her best to get him out of the building.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Stand your ground, you morons!” Glass warned his underlings. “We didn’t come this far so you could run into some broad’s spear. If she wants to test strength, let it be the strength of my magic!”

Glass launched another meteor spell, but this time, it did not arch into the sky. The fireball jetted across the fields, aimed at Orica’s loud mouth.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, the villagers that were supposed to be moving through the ambush point were busy helping civilians out of the schoolhouse. That was until the attack on Orica and Satsume commenced. The blacksmith called the others to get back to position.

RE: The First of Many - Lavi - 06-29-2014

Paige's arrival was an enormous relief. Although exhausted trying to free himself, Neil did what he could to help Paige lift the wooden beams so that he could crawl out. The gust of wind may have blown the fire away, but it also fed the fury of the flames. The schoolhouse looked like it was doomed to collapse.

"I... think I can walk on my own," Neil answered. He could feel pain in his limbs, but it wasn't excruciating.

"Can you do me a favor though? I dropped my bag and books back there. If you could collect them for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. I need to get them to Bern," he asked Paige.

RE: The First of Many - Swift_Assassin - 06-30-2014

"Will do!" Shad replied as he summoned more wind magic. All he had to do was slow the spread of the fire. Even if they could fight the fire down, the structural integrity of the school house was compromised. This place was doomed the moment the meteor landed on top of it. He looked back at Neil, who Paige was saving. Apparently a beam landed on him. He took a quick glance at his bag and saw a familiar sight.

"Those are...,"he said aloud, but shutting himself up. His uncle carried around tomes like those. He recognized them as being spell books. At least the second mage I've met in Lycia isn't like the first. I'll need to discuss that with him later. He looked back up and saw some more beams collapse. He shouted to Paige and Neil, "Hurry up, this place won't last for much longer!"

RE: The First of Many - Toogee - 06-30-2014

To anyone else, risking their lives in a fiery building over a couple of books would seem preposterous. After Neil had nearly died himself, one would certainly tell him to survive and get new books. Whatever was in that bag was certainly not worth his or anyone else’s life.

Paige was not the one to tell Neil that.

One look at the books and Paige knew exactly what they were. As a librarian, she had seen her fair share of magic tomes. Both dark and anima tomes were becoming increasingly rare in Lycia. Even the library in Castle Pherae could not store the valuable tomes (not on the shelves at least). She understood the value on the books; the knowledge within them could be lost within her lifetime. They would also be particularly handy in dispatching the mage currently raining fire upon them.

“I’ll get them! Get your steed ready. We’re riding together!”

The woman sprinted across the room and gathered the books into the bag. As she donned the bag along her shoulder, the building moaned once more before the last remaining beam cracked. Any moment it would split and bury the remaining heroes in rubble. All of the villagers were a safe distance away. Once Neil left, only Paige and Shad were left inside.

“Everyone’s out! Let’s go!” Paige shouted at Shad. She grabbed onto his arm to pull him away from his duel with the inferno and towards the door.

And then the beam buckled.