FEPlanet Community

Full Version: Beginnings of Change
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
"Elimine's work?" Ambrose repeated, stepping forward. "Elimine's work begins with educating the young and the old, feeding the sick and the poor, and healing the maimed. This?" he gestured towards the town with the blade of his sword, making sure to not get it near his comrades, "This is banditry, with the added twist that our beloved emperor is endorsing it. It is wrong." The assassin sheathed his sword, before looking around and noticing that there were two others here he did not recognize.

"So, two new companions, eh? Or just passers by? Shad?"
"Sorry for not noticing you earlier, then," He replied with a smile, walking the small distance to the others. He looked down at the prisoner they acquired. He didn't seem particularly harmed, but he was smart enough to be compliant with them. He was making comments about doing Elimine's work which pissed off Ambrose. He also said something about cultists. Before he can make a comment towards their prisoner, Ambrose had noticed their arrival. "Well...a guess a bit of both? Paige, you remember Marcus right? He was really scarred up guy that was with me in Pharae. Well, this is his sister..."He said, motioning towards Cassandra.

Cassandra walked up to the burly man. "Nice to officially meet you Ambrose, Paige. I am Cassandra Carvax, Spymaster of the Hyperion family...and the young lords former fiance," She commented, with a sly smile towards Shad. Before he could speak up, Cassandra continued speaking. "I've been tailing your group since you left that village. Making sure you three weren't being followed. I don't know why the pup didn't tell you about me yet." She finished, shooting another sly smile Shad's way.

"Ignore that fiance bit. Long story. She's just teasing," he said glancing at Cass. He turned towards the archer that followed them. "She was caught up in our little scuffle, but thankfully she seems like she can hold her own." He then directed his attention towards her. He bowed his head. "I am Lord Shadrach Hyperion of Arretium. Or was. The whole Lycian annexation muddled that a bit."

To that end, he moved on to their prisoner. He knelt down next to him. "When did Elimine decree that anima and dark magic are the bane of humanity? Was that when your precious church tore down the Tower of the Saint and put those words into her mouth? How many lives have been lost to this 'work' you've been doing? My baby sister has to live in Bern to escape the wrath of barbarians like those men back there," He said as he pulled out his 'journal'. He began tapping on the spine of the book as he spoke. "I was the guy that shot the fireball back there. Didn't hit any body or do much of anything. I'm pretty rubbish at it really. I'm far better with a sword than I am with magic. Didn't stop me from almost killing myself saving one of your villages from bandits with it."
Paige saw that their group became a bit bigger after the skirmish with the keepers. One Cassandra revealed herself as a spymaster for Shad, while as archer (presumably one of the villagers) tagged along. Between the spy and Shad showing his magic tome to the keeper, Paige wondered how long their identities would remain hidden. She had no intention of killing the remaining keeper; would he keep quiet about this?

She understood Ambrose's and Shad's ire, but Paige still needed the keeper to get into the city. She didn't want to overwhelm the wounded man with grievances, especially when he already had doubts about his actions. The librarian decided a deal was in order.

"Look," Paige said to Yuri, "If you can get us into town, we can take you to a healer. We're not here to cause trouble. There's just someone I wanted to visit."

Paige briefly glanced over to Ambrose and Shad. She wasn't entirely sure they would approve of this arrangement. She didn't see any other way to get to the monastery.
Yuri's face was expressionless as two of the men proceeded to give him an earful about the error of his ways. He did not say anything to either of them - not even to the one with the black magic tome. Even though he had believed that such magics were the product of heresy and evil, Yuri could not rationalize the man's - or the group's - actions as anything but noble.

The young woman in front of him lowered her blade and knelt next to him.

"Look," she said. "If you can get us into town, we can take you to a healer. We're not here to cause trouble. There's just someone I wanted to visit."

The men behind her appeared to scoff at the idea. Yuri found his voice.

"They have a checkpoint at the far end of town... near the gate," he said quietly. "That is where they keep the detainees." Yuri reached in front of him and drew a little picture in the dirt with his finger.

"Your best entry point is probably the same way you came from... there are fewer of us now." Yuri stared at the ground for another moment, gathering the courage he needed to turn on his comrades.

No..., he thought. I am doing the right thing. They were never my comrades. I have been led astray.

Yuri slowly rolled onto his good leg and tried to get to his feet. His ankle did not appreciate it. "Rrgh!" he fell forward into the girl's arms.

"My name is Yuri," he said, bracing against the girl to gingerly stand on his own. "I will help you."

Gods forgive me...
Paige managed to catch Yuri as he fell into her. She didn't think she would considering the soldier was clad in armor. As she rose up with him, Paige put his arm over her shoulders to prepare for the walk ahead of them.

"Your help is appreciated," Paige said to Yuri before turning to the others. "We're going into town. There's a monk here that might give us a clue as to where to go next." The librarian hoped Ambrose and Shad would get the hint. This wasn't a mere social call. She was to uncover the next clue on their new overlord.

Paige helped Yuri into town, regardless of her partners' blessings or trepidations. She helped keep Yuri's injured leg off the ground as they walked towards a healer. Obviously, she let Yuri lead the way, even if she could be walking into a trap. The risk was worth it if she could get more information on Emperor Coran.

"Santaruz is a beautiful town. Do you live around here?" Paige asked Yuri. She asked mostly to hear his story, but also to calm his nerves. Someone who deserted and sided with alleged enemies was probably doubting his actions.
Shad was surprised when Paige offered to help the man. But he was equally surprised that he was so against it. Perhaps he was still riding a high on the rage he felt, the images of Maria being in that horrible situation he witnessed, but he wasn't sure. He felt no hatred towards the man, just what he represented. In fact, on a second look he had a familiar look to him. Like a face in saw in passing more than a few times.

When Yuri began revealing the arrangement of the church's checkpoints and detainment areas, it almost became clear to him. What he saw was a man struggling with his faith. He must have been an active member of the St. Elimine church before the Church of the Preservation of Sanctity. Shad felt remorseful for his words.

Cass looked around and spied Alice peaking out from behind the tree. Cassandra stayed alert, but gave off no indication of threat. Alice had killed the other Keeper without remorse. Perhaps she thought Yuri could be swayed back to the Church of St. Elimine and spared him. Her motives were still vexing to spy.

Shad got back up to his face, using the opportunity to hide a smirk. One more defector, Emperor Coran. One more turning against your church. His optimism suppressed his urge to suspect the man of deceit. Chalk it up to his reckless nature. He turned back to the archer with them. "Sorry, Paige seems to be very...single minded sometimes. Just introduce yourself on the way, if you intend to follow this through."

Paige was back on track to learning what she could about the Emperor. This monk might she was hinting at might have worked on the transcription of the texts. Considering the church's involvement in the area, Shad was concerned that the monk might have already been seized. After all, the church swooped into Pharae the very night they discovered the tome. If Ostia is behind the suppression of that key info, then it stands to reason that the monk was a target as well.

She began asking the man about if he lived in Santaruz. Shad had his own suspicions about that and chimed in. "If you ask me, I'd say he's from Ostia, or the surrounding area. I've spent half my life there, and although I never picked it up, my cousin sometimes switches from an Etrurian and Ostian accent when talking. I'd even go far enough to say I think I've seen his face before, but in a city as big as Ostia, they kinda blend together."

"I'm heading off. I'm not paid to be trusting, so I'm going to confirm his claims before you give your life stories away to the enemy." Cassandra said, running off ahead of the group. She didn't even wait for a reply before vanishing from sight.
"Very well. We check for this monk, then save the detainees," Ambrose nodded, sheathing his blade as he followed Paige and Yuri closely, though not so closely as to cause fright. The lamps were lit in the town, but it appeared most of the Keepers were back at the checkpoint, with only a few roaming the empty streets. His eyes darted around, making sure the paths were clear of other Keepers of Sanctity. His ears focused on the sounds around him, ambient noise, a cat hissing... he monitored their positions amid the situation as best he could.

Cassandra, the former spy, had gone ahead of them to confirm Yuri's story. A good choice. Prudent. And if Yuri was lying, well, killing him wouldn't really send a strong message to them, would it? He was young, likely low-ranking in their heirarchy. To send a message, one of the ones in charge had to die, and all the detainees had to be set free.

They would flee... or join him. Either way, victory against the emperor, on a small scale.

Even the smallest stones, however, could instigate a landslide.
Morgan remained silent as the group talked between themselves and moved back into town, listening closely without comment. She didn't know what to make of their apparent search for this monk, aside from the urgency they seemed to feel in doing so. Indeed, it must be urgent, if they were traipsing back into the village they'd just escaped from. They seemed like a capable bunch, but Morgan hoped they had a plan this time, preferably one that didn't involve provoking the zealots into an attack.

She was wary of the man they'd captured. He seemed quite sincere- enough that she felt a pang of guilt for doubting him- but all she had heard and, more recently, seen of the men of this Church of Lycia's made here distrustful all the same. She tried to mask her discomfort at being in his company, but her aversion to looking his way likely sent the message all the same, provided he noticed it.

After they'd arrived, she decided it was time to speak up.

"Well, if you're all serious about doing this- about taking on the Church and freeing those people, I mean- I suppose I'll stick around and help. I have my own business in Santaruz. I've been looking for... some people." Morgan wasn't sure how much she should divulge just yet. They were risking potential capture just by doing this, after all, and she didn't want to give anything away that could jeopardize her family's safety as long as that was true. She'd fill them in later if they got out of this okay.

"The name is Morgan. An ex-soldier of Etruria, for all the good it did me."
Shad felt a pang in his heart from Morgan's words. 'Looking for some people'. 'Ex-soldier of Etruria.' Those words cut into him with a familiar sharpness. She may be vague in her words, but as a fellow displaced Etrurian, he knew what she meant. And he could only think about his part in this conflict. He grabbed his chest as he reflected on her words. She must have posted somewhere spared from the fighting. But these 'people', probably family, must not have been.

He turned to Morgan, holding back the urge to cry. "...I'm sorry," he muttered. "He was a damn fool. A damn coward." He was referring to the Etrurian King. "I'm sorry for not being able to do more. I really am just a powerless pup," he apologized again, making himself feel worse in the process. "I have to destroy the church. For my sister's sake," He said primarily to himself to drag himself out of his self imposed depression.
While Paige appreciated the help from Shad and Morgan, she was less keen on sharing their stories. THey were literally in the midst of their foes; eyes and ears could be anywhere. They still weren't sure that Yuri wasn't leading them into a trap. They didn't need to give him any excuses to betray them, so the librarian butted in.

"I do sympathize with your plight, but I don't believe this is the time or place for Etrurian stories and vows to take on the ruling power."

Paige kept her voice down, just in case someone else was listening.
Yuri listened quietly to the various chatter of the group as he led them along. Etruria, the church, the Emperor - things that were supposed to make Yuri seethe with righteous anger instead glossed over him like water. He no longer feared the repercussions of the Church. These people are doing what they believe is right, he thought. Saint Elimine would surely see that...

The clearing up ahead brought them to the edge of the village. About twenty yards ahead of that lay the checkpoint. Yuri peered through the twilight and could make out at least six or seven armor-clad priests. Two of them were in the middle of interrogating a young man. They were out of earshot, but Yuri could see the villager gesturing in a pleading manner before turning away, despondent.

"They are placing the village on lockdown," Yuri said matter-of-factly to the group. "There isn't much time until reinforcements from Laus get here." He gingerly put weight on his ankle and lifted himself from Paige's shoulder.

"If you are going to save the villagers, then please hurry." Yuri shuffled over to a tree and steadied himself against it. "May Elimine guide your blades."
Ambrose untied a small pouch from his belt and tossed it to Yuri, saying, "Here. If you'd like to aid us, use that on your ankle. If you'd like to keep out of the conflict, save it for later. You can even rejoin your old compatriots if you prefer. I thank you for the information you've provided. Now then, let's be on our way." The ex-mercenary let Paige lead them to the monk's address, while he and the others kept a lookout.

They reached the abode just fine, but the home itself was another story. They peered through the open door into the darkness of the house. It looked like it had been ransacked, but at the very least, there had been a scuffle here Books and notes littered the floor, some crumpled, others folded, others creased by pressure, and the furniture was knocked about the room. A large bookshelf near the back of the front room had a shelf that was clearly split by something heavy. "Hm. Either he's messier than I thought, or we're too late."
((I guess we passed by the checkpoint without any incident? Okay, not complaining. Just wanting to make sure.))

"Sorry Paige, got caught up a bit. Started spiraling into a dark place, so I needed to psych myself out of it," Shad apologized. He scratched the back, a bit embarrassed by it. He let out a low-pitched laugh. He was surprised with himself for thinking that way. This sort of thing never happened before. Perhaps it was seeing the cruelty of the Church firsthand for the very first time. Ever since he saw them pull that couple out, his mind has been lapsing back to his sister. He wasn't staying focused and was only going to be a detriment if he didn't change that line of thinking quickly. He pulled his hood back up as the group passed through the checkpoint Yuri warned about. He kept an eye out, noticing glimpses of Cassandra shadowing them. Perhaps she had discovered something or was hesitant of Yuri's presence.

They got to the monk's home somehow without incident. Was his ornate coat really that inconspicuous that a guard didn't as much come up to him? Shad mused to himself that perhaps he would go around armored up like a knight and still be unnoticed. Shad had been prepared to pick the lock if need be, but the door was already open. "It's almost like the school house was. You know, before the giant rock came through the ceiling." He began looking through papers, trying to find anything that could be useful. As optimistic as he usually was, he was already preparing for the inevitable discovery of the monks death by the church. Perhaps he left something, the next clue perhaps, behind during the chaos. He began gathering pages that looked legible, hoping for the man's own notes to be included. "If we can't find him, I suggest we give this place thorough searching before we leave. Provided we aren't being chased out."
Quote:"If you are going to save the villagers, then please hurry." Yuri shuffled over to a tree and steadied himself against it. "May Elimine guide your blades."

Paige wasn't sure what to say. They did not have the numbers or the skill to take the village. Even if they succeeded, the reinforcements Yuri mentioned would quickly null their efforts. She would have to wait to see how their current objective would turn out before making solid promises.

"We'll do what we can," Paige said to Yuri. She urged Shad and Morgan to follow her away from the checkpoint. She was surprised that they were able to pass undetected...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Captain, that group is getting past the checkpoint!"

"Let them go."

"But Captain, I don't recognize them from the locals."

"Exactly. Track them. See what they're up to."

The soldier nodded, taking a partner as they took a side route parallel to the group's path.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paige was said to see the monk's home already ransacked. She feared the worst and was one of the first to enter the dwelling.

"It's not nearly as dusty as the school though," Paige said to Shad, trying to find a candle to make the search easier.

"This was recent. Perhaps we're not too late."

Unable to find a candle, Paige tried to manage with the darkness. It wasn't long before she gasped at what she thought was a figure on the floor. It turned out to be a discarded robe. She grabbed her chest and sighed in relief.

"Just a robe. Everything looks like a dead man in this darkness."
Morgan followed Paige and Shad to the monk's home, still slightly embarrassed by the fuss she'd caused, though she said nothing. The ease with which they made it past the checkpoint seemed unusual to her, but she was glad all the same that they'd passed by without incident. The last thing any of them needed was another fight.

Arriving at the monk's abode, she was the last to enter. It was clear the monk they were looking for had been taken long before they'd arrived; the interior was shrouded in darkness and in complete disarray. It seemed like the group had been expecting this, as well, judging from their reactions. Paige had even briefly mistaken a discarded robe for the man's corpse. Morgan didn't have to ask who had taken him, but she did wonder why. What could this monk have or know that would cause his capture? Was it the same thing that brought her current allies here in the first place?

After Shad suggested they remain here and search, Morgan decided it couldn't hurt to ask. "If you don't mind the inquiry, what exactly are we looking for? What'd this monk have that would make him a target?"
Yuri was ill-prepared to handle the medicine projectile as Ambrose tossed it at him.  He bobbled it a couple of times before finally grasping hold.  He gave Ambrose a brief look of bewilderment; to offer alms for your prisoners wasn't typical behavior.  Or maybe I'm not a prisoner, and these people are as genuine as they want me to believe, thought Yuri.  He hastily opened the pouch and set about treating his wounds.

The herbal mix tasted foul, but Yuri could feel the pain in his ankle begin to wane.  It would be good enough.  Yuri looked up through the woods, towards the Keepers' checkpoint.  His new companions had already begun to sneak their way past the guards.  Yuri heaved a big sigh, and finally left the trees.

"Oy!  There's one of ours!" said one of the guards.  Yuri tensed.  I need to keep calm...

"Are you okay?" one of them asked.  "You look like 'ell, man."

"There were some dissenters that tried to escape," replied Yuri.  "There were five of us... I'm the only one left."

"Did you get a look at them?  We're due for reinforcements in a couple hours.  We can search the area!"

Yuri gulped.  This was his chance to help.

"Y-yes.  There were three or four of them.  Black hoods.  I think..." Yuri looked out in the direction he came from.  "I think one of them was holding a tome, but I'm not sure.  The rest of them... they were definitely armed.  I passed by one of our brothers as I was trying to escape - he had an arrow in his neck."

The Keepers looked at one another, then began to nod in comprehension.  One of them stepped forward and clasped Yuri on the shoulder.  "For you to make it out of this mess is a blessing from Elimine.  You needn't fear - we have the village under our control.  They won't come back while we're here."

Yuri could not bear to look the Keeper in the eye.  Instead, he simply nodded in hollow appreciation and walked past the gate into the Keepers' staging area.

Please, my friends... Get what you need and leave this place behind.
Shad silently agreed with Paige on the level of dust present. This place was obviously in use until recently. When did they ransack this place? As he silently gathered more documents, he heard a gasp from the librarian. He looked at her reacting to a robe. It was rather dark in this room. He considered lighting a candle, but they wanted to attract as little attention as possible. He was then drawn to the noise of Morgan. She was confused to their purpose, obviously.

"We learned a valuable bit of intel when we were in Pharae. We learned a part of the Emperor's name. We learned it in a tome on the Ostian royal family, that someone tried to destroy. My uncle speculated a conspiracy where the Empire is trying to remove that information from being leaked to their potential enemies," Shad began to answer. He looked back in the general direction of Paige. "I assume the monk we were here to see had some part with that book, am I correct Paige?"
"That's right," Paige replied to Shad before turning to Morgan. "We found a book detailing the history of Ostian rulers, including information on the Emperor. Unfortunately, it seems the Empire is keen on destroying any mention of the Emperor. I haven't had luck finding another copy, so we're trying to find the scribes that made the copies. This monk, Friar Thomas, he supposedly worked on a copy. I was hoping we could talk to him before...well, before this happened."

As Paige finished, light flooded the room. The librarian was relieved; maybe she could find something here. Her relief turned to horror, for the group was not alone. A lone soldier carried a blazing torch in one hand, a long sword in the other. He looked upon each of the three.

"Whatever you picked up, drop it," the soldier said, anger in his voice. "You are trespassing on unholy ground. It will be cleansed with fire...and you with it, saboteurs!"

Paige had to think fast before everyone was burned at the stake. Fighting this man would likely cause too much attention; they would be killed for sure. On the other hand, surrendering would at least get them in the same building as the monk was supposedly held. She turned to Shad and Morgan.

"Trust me," she mouthed before turning back to the soldier and raising her hands.

"Wait. We surrender," Paige announced. "By Lycian law, you cannot kill those who surrender, not before trial."

Sometimes, it paid to be a librarian. She was thankful that the soldier reluctantly agreed, though he remained tense. 

"In that case, drop your weapons. All of you." The soldier waited for the others to follow suit.

Paige could only hope that news would get to Yuri and Shad's friends and they could work out a way to get them out.
Shad was stunned by the guard appearing in the doorway. This was not good. The situation outside must not be too good either if Cass hadn't decided to act. He dropped the assembled papers on the desk in front of him. He began reaching for his sword when Paige intervened. She...surrendered?! Was she having second thoughts on this whole thing? He looked around briefly and recalled why they were there and why it was in this state. If the monk was still alive, they'd be escorted right to him, or near him. Which would be all fine and good for the others. What was he going to do when he had a magic tome on his person? He didn't want to go around finding another magic tome.

He sighed and tossed the sacaen sword in the mans direction. Shad even tossed over Schiavona, still looking like a walking stick. His hand went down to the book harness on his waist to find it empty. He recalled taking the book out when confronting Yuri. Did he leave it back there? Hopefully Cass had no faith in their safety and took the book when he wasn't paying attention. Certainly made it easier to surrender knowing he'd probably not get the mage treatment. He then put his hands up and slowly approached Paige.

------------------------------------------------------------------

This better not be one of Shad's terrible ideas. Cass thought to herself as she watched through the narrow doorway Paige and Shad surrender. She had already planned on infiltrating the detention site, but before was just to look for potential allies. Now she had no choice in the matter. As much as she didn't trust him, her safest bet for getting on the inside was Yuri. She left the group behind and doubled back to look for him. Along the way, she encountered someone else. "So Miss Richter, what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Huh? Oh. Right. You overheard that, didn't you? To be honest, I was hoping not to run into you." Alice replied. Cass noted she seemed to be on edge. Was she remembering how easily Cass snuck up on her that day.

"You don't want Shad in the hands of the Church, am I right?" Cass questioned, shocking Alice. She looked a bit flustered and at a loss for words. "Then come with me." Alice just stared at her for a bit, contemplating the situation. She seemed to realize what Cass suggested and nodded. The pair ran off to find Yuri, who couldn't have made it too far. Cass caught sight of him, in an area populated by more soldiers. "Do your thing, Ostian spy."

She bit her lip and complied. She walked out in front of the Keepers and got a good look at the man they were looking for. She remembered him from the Ostian Church. She went there with her mother many times. "Excuse me, but do you have a Yuri in your ranks? His mother wanted me to relay a message to him." Before they replied, she took out her documentation, detailing her as an agent of Ostia. "I believe this should give me a modicum of access to your premises. I won't be long."
The captain looked over Alice’s documents, then back to her.

“You have nothing better to do than be Yuri’s secretary?” The captain handed back the documents without waiting for a response.
“When you’re done with him, you send him to me.” He clearly wasn’t happy that one of his soldiers was using agents of the empire for his personal use.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, after Morgan surrendered her weapons, the group was off to jail! A total of three soldiers accompanied the three as they were escorted into a cell. Though there was plenty of room to pace around, there was only one bucket (to serve as a bathroom) and one bed. That bed already had an occupant: a man completely covered in robes. He sat on the bed in silence as the three were put in his cell.

“Now don’t be talking to that monk there, heh heh heh,” the guard told the group, giggling as he patrolled the rest of the jail house. Paige’s head swiftly turned to their roommate. This must have been him! As soon as the guard was out of view, Paige darted to the bed to speak to the monk.

“Friar Thomas, is that you?” she whispered to avoid drawing attention.

The monk simply lifted his hood, but said nothing. He put a finger to his mouth to signify that he would not be speaking.

“Tell me you haven’t taken a vow of silence.”

The monk, of course, said nothing.
Pages: 1 2 3 4