FEPlanet Community

Full Version: [Feature suggestion] Multiple lords in a battle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since there's no dedicated feature suggestion subforum I assume it's okay to post this here...
Anyway, I am anticipating people who just read the title to be prepared to thrash this idea for causing further imbalance between new and old players but please do hear me out first.

After playing for 2 weeks I was thinking of getting my first Master Crown but then I looked up whether it was actually possible to bring 2 lords into a battle as I have never actually seen that happen, and it turns out that is not possible. Therefore it seems to me that the only payoff in having more than one lord is having as large a choice of different lords as possible. Yes, I don't yet know what that would do to gameplay at the point of 20/20 promoted units, but I think there's more fun to be had with a few stronger units than just one that's stronger than the others, even if it's not a gigantic difference. There are also some units I'd like to keep together as much as possible while being lords at the same time. I know this is not supposed to be a carbon copy of vanilla FEs but you got multiple lords in various titles as well, hell you even get 3 in FE7.

So about the potential imbalance, how to eliminate it depends on the way it's implemented: there could be a possibility of manually setting the maximum amount of lords allowed to battle, for example by selection from the battle menu, i.e. in the same way you select upper and lower bounds for levels, or as an additional game mode. There could also be either a unlimited lord game mode (if literally all units are lords it would still be fair...) or otherwise an upper bound of lords set my the number of maximum units (roughly a fifth of the maximum number of units allowed, maybe?) depending on the players. Or if having way too many lords battle is really a problem set the universal limit for lords to be two or three - even if battles at low levels had multiple lords, at that point the difference is more or less 3 stat points.

Feel free to tweak some details if necessary, but I would love to see this in FETO in some way.
From what I've seen, the only way you can bring multiple lords into a battle is if your unit# is scaled to the the amount of players you're played (as in, if it's a 2v1 map for example).

But yeah, I'd only would be ok to multiple lords is if it's a game mode. Lords have huge advantages over generics, and people like me would curbstomp other players with less lords because I have like 10+ ._.
(05-01-2015, 04:25 PM)Falaflame Wrote: [ -> ]From what I've seen, the only way you can bring multiple lords into a battle is if your unit# is scaled to the the amount of players you're played (as in, if it's a 2v1 map for example).

But yeah, I'd only would be ok to multiple lords is if it's a game mode. Lords have huge advantages over generics, and people like me would curbstomp other players with less lords because I have like 10+ ._.

Good point about the 2v1 (etc.) maps. I didn't think about those yet, but it's still the only possibility as of now.

I wouldn't be so quick to discard the idea of setting limits for lords though, if I had seen such a setting when I started my first battle I would definitely have made damn sure the limit was 1, and if it's defaulted to that for new players it would be even more unlikely to screw them over on their first few battles. Although if it was a game mode with double the amount of lords (or unlimited for people with 10+ lords...) it would still be much better than nothing tbh.
Well, looking at it that way, that does seem like a better option than I had thought. I'd like to see a game mode with a set number of lords allowed to bring to play.

While at it, I'd love there to be 4 game modes instead of 3 as we have now, because the more options the more 3 seems like too few modes to play with.

But i'll say this. Generally, maps that force either 2v1, 3v1, 4v1, 3v2, 5v1, and 4v2 (force as in, you literally cannot play a free-for-all in those maps) will allow you to bring multiple lords in a battle (if you're in the team that's solo/has fewer players), but it also depends on how many players are playing. if i recall correctly, 2v1 lets you bring 2 lords. 3v1 lets you bring 3. 4v1 lets you bring 4. 5v1 lets you bring 5 lords. 3v2 lets the team of 3 bring 2 lords and team of 2 bring 3 lords. 4v2 lets the team of 2 bring 2 lords for each player (iirc).
(05-01-2015, 11:24 PM)Falaflame Wrote: [ -> ]Well, looking at it that way, that does seem like a better option than I had thought. I'd like to see a game mode with a set number of lords allowed to bring to play.

While at it, I'd love there to be 4 game modes instead of 3 as we have now, because the more options the more 3 seems like too few modes to play with.

Exactly.
And for the 19 playable game modes that I counted, being able to choose 3 does seem slightly lacking, especially if multiple lords does end up being implemented as a game mode - 4 should probably do, maybe 5 if this is the case though (because if you want to do Lv.[**/]20 and multiple lords that kind of uses up 2 game modes already)

(05-01-2015, 11:24 PM)Falaflame Wrote: [ -> ]But i'll say this. Generally, maps that force either 2v1, 3v1, 4v1, 3v2, 5v1, and 4v2 (force as in, you literally cannot play a free-for-all in those maps) will allow you to bring multiple lords in a battle (if you're in the team that's solo/has fewer players), but it also depends on how many players are playing. if i recall correctly, 2v1 lets you bring 2 lords. 3v1 lets you bring 3. 4v1 lets you bring 4. 5v1 lets you bring 5 lords. 3v2 lets the team of 3 bring 2 lords and team of 2 bring 3 lords. 4v2 lets the team of 2 bring 2 lords for each player (iirc).

As of now I have yet to play one of those maps as well but that sounds fair. Actually, I was about to say that it's not really fair if you can't do the same thing for maps where you aren't necessarily forced to do a team battle, but then I remembered that there the teams would be even anyway... However the point was, I wanted to be able to use more than one lord even in day-to-day battles, without necessarily having to face more than one player Big Grin
I have no issue with allowing multiple lords in battles as long as there is a limit set (perhaps this could be a setting when the new FETO comes out). With the limit posted then anyone who joins would know so if you field less than what is allowed then you are putting yourself at that disadvantage.

Also, I will make a suggestion subforum at some point. lol
(05-02-2015, 04:41 PM)fensti Wrote: [ -> ]I have no issue with allowing multiple lords in battles as long as there is a limit set (perhaps this could be a setting when the new FETO comes out). With the limit posted then anyone who joins would know so if you field less than what is allowed then you are putting yourself at that disadvantage.

Also, I will make a suggestion subforum at some point. lol

Yes, that basically outlines my thoughts on manually setting and seeing the amount of lords allowed to battle. I only hope that generic units won't become entirely worthless at some point (as Master Crowns do seem to be very expensive even for people who've played for years...) but if abuse of fully lorded teams ever becomes a serious problem there could always be a hard-coded upper bound for the amount of lords.

That said, I'm looking forward to the new FETO, not just because of this, but also because I've seen on the to-do list that's still on the old forums and I quite like some of the suggested features there. I'm not going to expect it to come any time soon though as I've noticed not much development is going on here right now...
I don't think I would make the limit infinite, but probably make it 3 or 4 (or 3 or 4 times for maps with uneven teams).
(05-02-2015, 07:39 PM)fensti Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think I would make the limit infinite, but probably make it 3 or 4 (or 3 or 4 times for maps with uneven teams).

3 or 4 sounds good, although I would still consider at most 2 to be better for small (4-6 unit limit) battles because I suspect that otherwise the outcome could depend too much on the lords' advantages over each other.