FEPlanet Community

Full Version: School
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I got $3,053 for a $2,000 semester. That covers tuition and books. I tried to appeal the amount because lol I'm terribly poor (hence the need for a loan in the first place). I was impolitely told to figure it out by every OSAP representative I spoke with. I'm taking a full-time program pursuing a professional designation and there's a total of 0 jobs even available. Also, if I work I get docked money for OSAP anyway. Lose-lose? I have to pay this money back with interest, they should be throwing it at me! The most infuriating part is that my lowest grade is a 98%. A kid with lower tuition and terrible standing with OSAP got $14,000 for one semester.

How am I going to pay rent, bills, and purchase food and necessities while attending school all day, every day? What the cow do these people expect me to do?

RRAAAAAWWWWWWRRRRRRR!!! >=O

I'm just gonna turn into a dinosaur and eat everybody. Why not.
Ah yes, I remember fighting through all of this.

I remember not getting much of anything because evidently my parents made too much money. Also, that much money for that expensive of a semester leads me to think that your financial aid program doesn't offer shit for home equity.

OSAP... I take it you're in Ontario, then? Not sure how much help I'm going to be - I know the US does things differently...

Which school are you attending?
Humber College. I've tried appealing it multiple times. My family's well below the poverty line and I'm assessed as an independent with zero income. I was told the MP might help but she won't respond to my calls/e-mails.
Yeah college was rough but don't worry, it's over soon and then you get to be in the real world.

Psyche, the real world sucks, I miss college ;_;
Rofl Ever the eloquent aide.
(04-26-2015, 09:31 PM)Mizu Wrote: [ -> ]I was told the MP might help but she won't respond to my calls/e-mails.

I would keep at this. Maybe go to their office directly if they keep dodging you. Just be sure to keep a cool head and explain your situation calmly.
I ended up talking to her and she told me I needed to speak with the MPP. I called him and he literally said, "Well, I don't know what you want me to do." >=O He isn't helping me at all. I signed a consent form so that he could talk to the OSAP people on my behalf but he told me that nothing would most likely come from it. He doesn't care and he isn't even pretending to try. I'm so frustrated. School starts May 11th and I live a two+ hour drive away with no financial means of even getting down to Toronto. I have no way of paying rent or supporting myself and I just found out yesterday that I'm allowed to make a maximum of $400 a month working in order to stay eligible for OSAP and not be reassessed and screwed over even more.

SO, I can't even get a job and try to support myself with extra income or I get OSAP taken away and have to figure something else out entirely. So I'd be in an even worse position. And it's extremely frustrating because the MPP has a whole page full of baloney about how he thinks education is extremely important and all of this stuff. Apparently you just don't count if you're poor. POOR PEOPLE DON'T DESERVE EDUCATION! RRAAWWWRRRRRRRRR

Why couldn't I have just been born into a wealthy family and not have to worry about anything? At all. Ever. V.V;;;

It's like they TRY to screw you around. And they do give you money for rent etc. because, like I stated above, I know people who go for courses that cost a fraction of what mine costs and they get $14,000+. That's an extra $10,000 minimum to spend on literally what ever the heck you want. And that's assuming they're taking a $4,000 course which most people don't. My cousin's friend was taking a $2,000 course and he got almost $14,000. And then he dropped out within the first month or two of the program. What the heck? Why? WHY?????????? WHAT HAVE I DONE TO WARRANT THIS IDIOCY???????

I'm so upset. v.v;;;;;;;;; I just feel stuck.

*My program is $5,000/year; $2,000 for this last semester* Then I'm transferring to the degree program right in September which is obviously even more expensive. I've got another 3+ years of this ridiculousness.

Being poor sucks. Don't do it. XD
I have zero understanding of the Canadian schooling system, but why did the kid with worse standing than you get more money? Does he have rich parents or something?
No, you can only receive OSAP if you/your family make a specific amount. A specific small amount. Lol

I have no idea why he got more. It seems like all of the kids who go out and waste all of their money on alcohol and stupid stuff, leaving none left for rent or necessities, get the most. I always just scrape by while saving every penny I can and I'm still stuck at the end of the term. OSAP representatives always tell me I got the maximum amount, but again, it's less than half of what people in cheaper programs got. I honestly feel like it's just me. I don't understand why I always get screwed around but I do.

Life is just blegh.