FEPlanet Community

Full Version: Zanryu's Pixels
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I'm sure some will remember me, others probably won't. I have to say, definitely not much of a spriter anymore, but I've still got the love for it and it's one of those things I'd really like to get back into. I'm living with my fiancee now, so I can get away a bit more often to work on things - perhaps that'll be to my advantage!
Here's the only old things I've got on my computer - the rest has been lost with time, I suppose. Not that it's any real loss; clean slate!
The latest redesign of my first original character, Zanryu - he's followed me since I was 12 years old. Never officially finished, was going to scrap the armor and start again (hence the Glass body placeholder).
[Image: 2u42043.jpg]
A splice contest entry on Serenes Forest - my first piece after a long hiatus at the time.
[Image: 2zpmr94.jpg]
And a splice contest entry here, however long ago that was.
[Image: rgzevq.jpg]

Now, I believe the last thing I worked on was likely at the beginning of 2014, but I had trouble sleeping and whipped up a work in progress, based on the famed style of Ahruon and Orkimides, designers and producers of Card Sagas Wars and the Card Gallery website. Always been a fan of their work, never tried my hand more than a few times. This is my first try in years, and I plan to continue.
[Image: 2mxicgm.jpg]
So, the colours aren't final and the shading and final touches to the lines will come at a later date - likely Thursday. Not much to show at the moment, but hopefully you guys can still bounce some ideas off me for the final product, or convince me to go back and finish Zanryu!

EDIT: Did a bit on my lunch break, working out a palette and starting with some base shading.
[Image: 2lvfqmo.jpg]
So, the first thing I've worked on since December 14th of last year... been a while.

[Image: 2z906y9.png]

Obviously a work in progress - shading needs work, need to work out the body, etc. This is going to be my RP character here, Ellie "Eli" Vael. Big Grin

EDIT:

Well, preeeetty much done. May do some more tweaking here and there. FE6/7 AND FE8 colours, too!

[Image: acweth.png]

EDIT2:

I was wrong, wasn't done. Totally forgot one of her straps for the pauldron!

[Image: 69f7r8.png]
Because big update, le triplay poast!

[Image: t50kgj.png]

A huge thanks to good ol' Merc. Referenced dozens of different parts of his half bodies to figure out how to tackle this; turned out pretty decent IMO, but still needs work!
Looks pretty good to me.
Back from hiatus once more!

[Image: Viddic_Saint.png]

Just a WIP so far - pre and post update. Pre update was what I started with coming back to it from yesterday, post update is what I'm moving forward with; just for comparison's sake.
So this is most definitely not pixel art, but I wasn't sure where else to put this. I'm not planning to post all my work on this as I go, but I would definitely like any criticism I can get. Of the six people who have read so far, not a single person has any gripes, and that's bothering me.

Code:
                It had been hours since the carriage halted, longer still since the downpour had relented. The mud squished beneath every heavy hoof, the rain pounded furiously against the roof of the carriage. A dim lantern flickered rhythmically near the coachman, casting shadows upon the tarpaulin; there was another figure taking shelter inside, hidden beneath an aquamarine shroud.
                “It’s just there, milady.”
                The hooded figure raised her head – the most elegant emerald eyes peered out of the dimly lit carriage. It was a modest castle that she found, nestled betwixt hills and fields – charming despite the abhorrent weather. She smiled a moment, until her eyes shifted downward and her joy turned to a somber stare.
                A hand emerged from her cloak, brandishing a neatly rolled parchment sealed with a royal crest. She eyed it, almost worryingly, and then turned to face the castle once more.

The woman could feel eyes peering out at them as the carriage made its way through the cobble streets with a ceaseless clatter of hooves on stone. She moved closer to the coachman and eyed the buildings as they rode passed; even the streets seemed pleasant here compared to the capitol. A few minutes went by in near silence, until the driver pulled lightly on his horse’s reins and their transport slowed to a halt before the towering castle gate.
                “I’ve a customer who has business with your Lord!”
                The coachman was met with a momentary lull before the gate parted, just wide enough for a single soldier to step through. His auburn plated mail bore a similar crest to that of the parchment hidden beneath the mysterious woman’s cloak; a spread-winged dove above crossed lilies. He approached slowly, eyeing them intently. With one hand on the hilt of his sabre, he peered in before stepping around to the back of the carriage. After a few more minutes and a thorough inspection of the lady’s transportation, he relinquished his blade and spoke.
                “State your business, my lady,” he inquired gruffly with a hand on each hip.
                “I carry a letter of great import, sir; I request an audience with your Lord at the earliest convenience. If you would be so kind, I could do with a warm seat next to a fire.”
                The soldier hesitated, studying the woman stolidly. With a slight sigh, the woman stood carefully, her cloak separated tactfully on either side of her rounded abdomen. She placed her hands lovingly on the bulge of her belly and smiled. In an instant, the man offered his hand to the woman and lowered his gaze.
                “I apologize for my callousness, my lady,” he began, his cold façade clearly rattled. The coachman chuckled to himself, smirking as he gazed over his shoulder at the woman. “Please, allow me to help you.”
                The woman placed one hand gently in the soldier’s palm and stepped out from the cover of the canvas, tiptoeing her way down the steps onto the cobbles. The guard stood tall and nodded shyly, evidently embarrassed. The lady turned and curtsied, facing her traveling companion with a grateful gaze.
                “I thank you, sir. You have been ever so gracious, and it has been a pleasure traveling with you these past days.”
                “No, no, milady, the pleasure has been all my own. I wish you many happy years and the best of luck.” he replied with a low bow. Sitting up straight, he scratched at his graying beard and watched as the guard led the woman through the parting castle gates. As the pair crossed the threshold of the castle walls, more guards marched out level with one another to relieve the coachman of the lady’s effects.
                “Farewell, milady.”

Well, technically this page is called Zanryu's Pixels. And as far as I know, text on computers are made of pixels so it counts.

Well, outside of it only seeming to be a snippet of a larger story, I don't really see anything wrong with it. But, then again, I'm not exactly the best at this sort of thing. My english and language classes were usually some of my worst classes, explaining a lot of my issues during rps with grading. Too impatient sometimes. Perhaps having a bit more to it would give more for a person to critique. Then again, you could end up making it overwhelming and not actually get critique like you want. Like with me and my sprites

Hope you can get the critique your looking for.
(02-22-2017, 02:42 AM)Swift_Assassin Wrote: [ -> ]Well, technically this page is called Zanryu's Pixels. And as far as I know, text on computers are made of pixels so it counts.

Well, outside of it only seeming to be a snippet of a larger story, I don't really see anything wrong with it. But, then again, I'm not exactly the best at this sort of thing. My english and language classes were usually some of my worst classes, explaining a lot of my issues during rps with grading. Too impatient sometimes. Perhaps having a bit more to it would give more for a person to critique. Then again, you could end up making it overwhelming and not actually get critique like you want. Like with me and my sprites

Hope you can get the critique your looking for.

I appreciate you taking a look all the same! I actually had a friend over last night who found something worth noting that I also wasn't 100% sold on when writing (kind of stumbled over the paragraph trying to get through it), so I'm looking at reworking a few sentences later.
(11-25-2015, 04:49 AM)Zanryu Wrote: [ -> ]Because big update, le triplay poast!

A huge thanks to good ol' Merc. Referenced dozens of different parts of his half bodies to figure out how to tackle this; turned out pretty decent IMO, but still needs work!

So, I'm alive. And I did a thing. It is incomplete, but it is a thing.

[Image: xbcoeb.gif]
(10-03-2018, 10:45 PM)Zanryu Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-25-2015, 04:49 AM)Zanryu Wrote: [ -> ]Because big update, le triplay poast!

So, I'm alive. And I did a thing. It is incomplete, but it is a thing.

[Image: xbcoeb.gif]

[Image: 1znpx8w.png]

Alas, I bring the thing 2.0.
Here's a couple things for some projects I've been hired onto.

[Image: GOWHssK.png]

[Image: KVsjSBH.png][Image: YPyjUNZ.gif]

EDIT:

But wait, there's more!

[Image: nMjxAXl.png]
[Image: Ue2oy7u.png]