FEPlanet Community

Full Version: Political climate in Lycia and RP's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm probably going to be spending a chunk of time creating the political climate of Lycia once my second character is finalized and approved. As Carl von Clausewitz puts it, "politics is the womb in which war develops," so it would be interesting to be involved in the other crucial half of the universe. This isn't to say that there would be no combat altogether, though the focus would be on diplomacy between the Lycian marches (or territories, but marches is the proper term since they are led by marquessates).

Are there any characters that would be involved in eloquent, possibly-backstab-happy diplomacy? I'm looking at having my character be from House Laus but, if circumstances permit (currently in dialogue with Wyvernslayer on the details), House Thria would override it. Thoughts? Critique? Bagels?
I have nothing to say about Bagels, but Vel has "created" the emperor and given him form, from what I've heard. He's most likely going to be the plot of assassinations.
I don't have any PC's that fit the bill. Most of them like to stab a person in their chest than back. But I had a npc in mind that might and that's a big might work. He's formerly an Etrurian lord who sabotaged Etruria's efforts of peace with, and their subsequent resistance to, Lycia in exchange for governing a portion of the annexed land. He'd be a newcomer to proper Lycia politics who would be looked down on for being a foreigner and a traitor.
(07-04-2014, 11:19 PM)Breadophile Wrote: [ -> ]I have nothing to say about Bagels, but Vel has "created" the emperor and given him form, from what I've heard. He's most likely going to be the plot of assassinations.

I see. I'm not looking at plotting any actual assassinations for the time being, though I won't disregard them as possible avenues in the future.

(07-04-2014, 11:19 PM)Swift_Assassin Wrote: [ -> ]I don't have any PC's that fit the bill. Most of them like to stab a person in their chest than back. But I had a npc in mind that might and that's a big might work. He's formerly an Etrurian lord who sabotaged Etruria's efforts of peace with, and their subsequent resistance to, Lycia in exchange for governing a portion of the annexed land. He'd be a newcomer to proper Lycia politics who would be looked down on for being a foreigner and a traitor.

I can work with this, since the character is going to be publicly (emphasis on publicly Tongue) supportive of Lycia and the Church of Sanctity. We could have a banquette celebrating victory over Etruria in order to have our characters first meet and establish some sort of relationship.
This would be ideal for Xyle, but he's in an IRP already. It'd depend on whether it could work as an SRP (doubtful since it sounds plot-relevant), and on the details for if a wandering bard could even poke his nose in wherever this ends up taking place.
Since whether the talks are impactful on the story depends entirely on character interactions, it's safe to presume that many of the RP's will be IRP material. However, SRP's can be arranged for minor talks in-between of the major ones in order to get a grasp on how the dignitaries are feeling about the current situation.
Paige is researching the origins of the empire and the emperor. Forays into the political climate may not be immediate, but it's likely inevitable.
Started a political thread [here]. I realized that there was a period of six months between the beginning of the Lycian invasion of Etruria and the time period of the present day of the RP's (which is two months after the annexation of Etruria).

I'm not planning for combat to occur, so there's a good chance for there to be no death or plot-related discrepancies; the plan is that the current RP is for acquainting the characters to the political scene, using the last major event of the timeline as a basis, and then the follow-up RP onward will be present-day.
Unfortunately, Cecily isn't allowed to remain in a nobility capacity. Although it doesn't completely remove the ability to be politically involved, it does mean that a lot of doors will be closed on this story potential. Further details will come to light in a future IRP.