FEPlanet Community

Full Version: Fire Emblem Tactics Engine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So in high school, I took this Engineering class, but because it was so small, I shared a classroom with Game Art students. Towards the end of the year they started making games for their art. I had finished my work and programming always interested me, but I never started learning. They were using a program called GameMaker Studio which used its own language of coding that really was just compiled from other languages like Java and C+, however, coding is optional with the program, so I started with that and then I realized that wirhout knowing the codes, I would be limited in what I could/wanted to do, and what I wanted to do was a Fire Emblem Tactics Engine. I have been working on this project of mine for a solid month now and so I decided I could post a thread here following it in its progress. Sorry for the background but I feel its was supplementary to the Engine itself.

Things it has:
Turns
Missions and defeat circumstances including Throne, Defense, Survive and Rout
Player, Enemy and Ally teams
Working AI (only two types which I would like to expand on)
Tile based movement
Display of possible movement (Blue Tiles)
Display of pssoible attack tiles (Red Tiles)
Terrain and multiply types of units (Air, Land, etc)
A (poor) attack system
Health
Fog of War

Things I am working on:
A better attack system (current one does not allow counter attack)
battle room (I feel like its finished but its here because of the changes I am making to the combat system)
Stats (Should be pretty easily. Just requires I develop it in the attack Engine)

Things I plan to do and know how to do:
Items (the hard part is displaying the items truthfully)
Character Menu/sheets (I find menus to be very annoying)
Multiple chapters/levels

Things I plan to do but do not know how to do:
Saving and Loading
It's rather odd that you can't find a way to counterattack. Assuming you have a function for attacking, just initiate it again with the attacker and attackee reversed.
You had my curiosity at the word "Engine". Smile

What's it coded in, based on, what libraries do you use?
How's the performance, how portable is the code, and what platforms does it run on currently?

And finally, would you want to work together on FETO's development?

I've been working in parallel on my own FE engine, but I'm still working on implementing the scripting necessary.
I'd like to keep the game logic bound to high-level scripting to allow for easy customization, while using more low-level code for the more integrated parts.
I aim to implement a singleplayer and multiplayer (co-op and competitive) campaign, so the scripting is quite an important bit. I don't want to refactor the entire engine just to add a game mode. Wink

As for the saving/loading, it really depends on how you keep information together in memory.
I would use arrays or objects containing game data in memory, and serialize them into JSON or XML when saving to persist the information in a format that can easily be de-serialized into their original object/array formats.
(06-29-2014, 07:10 PM)Breadophile Wrote: [ -> ]It's rather odd that you can't find a way to counterattack. Assuming you have a function for attacking, just initiate it again with the attacker and attackee reversed.

I am working on it, and you are right its not complicated. I just run the script within itself but from the other objects perspective.

(06-29-2014, 10:17 PM)sirocyl Wrote: [ -> ]You had my curiosity at the word "Engine". Smile

What's it coded in, based on, what libraries do you use?
How's the performance, how portable is the code, and what platforms does it run on currently?

And finally, would you want to work together on FETO's development?

I've been working in parallel on my own FE engine, but I'm still working on implementing the scripting necessary.
I'd like to keep the game logic bound to high-level scripting to allow for easy customization, while using more low-level code for the more integrated parts.
I aim to implement a singleplayer and multiplayer (co-op and competitive) campaign, so the scripting is quite an important bit. I don't want to refactor the entire engine just to add a game mode. Wink

As for the saving/loading, it really depends on how you keep information together in memory.
I would use arrays or objects containing game data in memory, and serialize them into JSON or XML when saving to persist the information in a format that can easily be de-serialized into their original object/array formats.
Well the program(GameMaker: Studio formally know as Animo) has its own language known as GML but it relates syntactically to Java and C++. as for Libraries, I used the default Library Game Maker provides. Performance is currently unknown because my last test was before I hit a wall of errors implementing the battle system, and portability wise, it exports as an executable file. As to the FETO development, the extent of my knowledge as far as coding has been through self discovery, research and trial and error. I have only worked with GML and I feel that with my lack of experience I would only hinder progress rather than progress it. I plan to post a small demo once I get to a point that is acceptable in a broad range of components.

Oh and I use "State" system with high level scripting in my AIs and it keeps the coding very organized and comprehendable seperating low level coding which can be hard to look at sometimes especially when met with a wall of it.
Ahh, okay, I see. o:

It's an interesting development, and I can't wait to see how it'll turn out!
If you want any pointers or resources, feel free to ask. o: