FEPlanet Community

Full Version: [Helpdesk] WyvernSlayer's Dragon Hatchery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
There's also a thread for these support requests. I wasn't sure why we needed approval to have essentially a two-person RP. I assume it was a relic of a stat system from a previous iteration.
While I'm waiting for a grade, am I free to start another RP?
(06-22-2015, 01:55 PM)Toogee Wrote: [ -> ]While I'm waiting for a grade, am I free to start another RP?

Absolutely!
*starts vacuuming the floors*

So we're coming up on a year and a half for Insurrection. Activity has stagnated in the RP subforum. Now's your chance to voice any complaints or suggestions.

I promise I won't get mad. I have people to do that for me.
I'm posting as fast as I can Sad.

Personally, I don't mind the pace too much. It gives me the chance to get off the computer and do other things. That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing an event RP, where the RP community gets together for something big. I've run a couple events on GTS+ with some success. Maybe that would tempt some people back into the fold?
(12-11-2015, 12:18 PM)WyvernSlayer Wrote: [ -> ]I have people to do that for me.

You called?

(12-11-2015, 03:39 PM)Toogee Wrote: [ -> ]Personally, I don't mind the pace too much. It gives me the chance to get off the computer and do other things. That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing an event RP, where the RP community gets together for something big. I've run a couple events on GTS+ with some success. Maybe that would tempt some people back into the fold?

Hm. Perhaps. I'd be interested in doing something like that. It'd be a huge thread, though. We'd need to be on our toes, keeping track of everything.
Isn't everyone already in one thread? I'd like the rp to go a bit quicker. The longer it takes the more characters I'm going to end up making that won't show up for a long time. I think I'm on twelve npcs now?. But at least it's somewhat steady. A Dragon Age rp i'm on has been dead for months and that was after Inquisition came out and renewed interest. Hey Andy, when are you going to post in Worth of an Assassin?
(12-11-2015, 03:39 PM)Toogee Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't mind seeing an event RP, where the RP community gets together for something big. I've run a couple events on GTS+ with some success. Maybe that would tempt some people back into the fold?

I've actually talked about this with Cevian, and he has voiced his support for a "megathread"-style RP.  I haven't done anything like it before, so I'd probably be leaning on him to at least get it off the ground... but I wouldn't be opposed to it.  I could see us moving to event RPs to make sweeping plot developments (which we're probably overdue for).
(12-14-2015, 08:48 AM)WyvernSlayer Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-11-2015, 03:39 PM)Toogee Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't mind seeing an event RP, where the RP community gets together for something big. I've run a couple events on GTS+ with some success. Maybe that would tempt some people back into the fold?

I've actually talked about this with Cevian, and he has voiced his support for a "megathread"-style RP.  I haven't done anything like it before, so I'd probably be leaning on him to at least get it off the ground... but I wouldn't be opposed to it.  I could see us moving to event RPs to make sweeping plot developments (which we're probably overdue for).

My advice would be to model it as a social RP, at least for the initial phase. That way, there's less need for you to move events along constantly.
I'm curious about the details of how the religion of the Church of Blargh works. The presence of an Inquisition branch of the Church makes it sound like this religion has been established for some time and had a sudden burst of prominence, rather than suddenly being established and pushed onto the people. Otherwise, I'd find it hard to believe that people would be willing to hunt for heretics of a fledgling religion.

Is the foundation of the institution the denial of magic or is the denial of magic just an aspect of the religion that is being emphasized for the sake of the story? Is there a holy text? Are there deities? Are there any traditional practices that followers of the Church are expected to do? Ie. attend mass some day of the week or perform a pilgrimage to some holy site.

I'm not expecting great detail: perhaps the extent of what a missionary would inform the public to convince people to join the Church. It seems appropriate to at least know the fundamentals of what this religion is all about before the plot thickens more than it already is.
(07-16-2016, 10:41 PM)Lavi Wrote: [ -> ]I'm curious about the details of how the religion of the Church of Blargh works. The presence of an Inquisition branch of the Church makes it sound like this religion has been established for some time and had a sudden burst of prominence, rather than suddenly being established and pushed onto the people. Otherwise, I'd find it hard to believe that people would be willing to hunt for heretics of a fledgling religion.

Is the foundation of the institution the denial of magic or is the denial of magic just an aspect of the religion that is being emphasized for the sake of the story? Is there a holy text? Are there deities? Are there any traditional practices that followers of the Church are expected to do? Ie. attend mass some day of the week or perform a pilgrimage to some holy site.

I'm not expecting great detail: perhaps the extent of what a missionary would inform the public to convince people to join the Church. It seems appropriate to at least know the fundamentals of what this religion is all about before the plot thickens more than it already is.

Magic denial is about as integral to the teachings of The Church of the Preservation of Sanctity as resisting the temptations of sin are to the Bible*.  They are just being heavily emphasized for story purposes.

The holy texts are essentially the teachings of Elimine, subtly modified to give it an anti-magic slant.  The common folk can't read the tomes and prayer books of the Church, so they would not know to question them.

Really, the agenda of the Church is to galvanize the Lycian populace under a common sentiment.  Melding with the original church of Elimine (if only to adopt the patron saint to give a sense of familiarity) softens the extremist anti-magic policy from a commoner's perspective.  The Inquisition is actually a tool used by the church to convince Lycian citizens that black magic is heresy.  Also, there's that whole Magic Trinity thing that is loosely established; if the Church can suppress Anima magic completely, then their power in Lycia goes uncontested.

As for the rest of your questions (i.e., what do church followers do, etc.), I haven't really put much thought into it.  This was all a hurried attempt by one person to get an RP established, after all.

*Please do not thump a Bible in front of me and tell me the specifics of your religion.  I do not care.
Hm, if the religion is basically an offshoot of the religion of St. Elimine, then I would presume that its basic practices would match that of the religion they are mirroring. Thanks for the info.
(07-17-2016, 09:33 PM)Lavi Wrote: [ -> ]Hm, if the religion is basically an offshoot of the religion of St. Elimine, then I would presume that its basic practices would match that of the religion they are mirroring. Thanks for the info.

Indeed.  It's those basic practices, juxtaposed with the recent anti-magic agenda that's being so heavily pushed, that are causing my second RP character so much inner conflict.
Hi Wyvern!

So, I've been thinking about what kind of character I'd like to try and flesh out for the RP. I've read over the world info and all of the FAQs etc, and I think it's great that the character creation aspect is so free-form! It does unnerve me, however, as I'm afraid of doing something that shouldn't be done, haha.

Anyway, as a loose concept I was thinking about making a bardic/dancer type character. Would that fly here? How do the 'rings' and their magic fit into the whole anti-magic setting?

I also wanted to dabble with the character having weird, slightly prophetic visions or 'fits'. It obviously wouldn't be plot-defying: they wouldn't be what I would call psychic, I want it to be low-key, like little, uncontrollable flits of the future that'd make my character seem strange and/or insane. How they would interpret the information they'd get wouldn't be easy to understand for basically anyone, sometimes even for the character (No THAT'S THE MURDERER: MYSTERY SOLVED stuff). I thought it'd be cool because I'm assuming a lot of people would see these visions as heresy and my character would be hunted a lot/ run out of villages etc. It'd be stuff like the stars whispering to the character that something naughty is going to happen (a robbery, murder etc), and that's how they'd vocalize it.

Do let me know if that'd cross over any lines, and I can either tweak the concept or scrap it and start anew! It's still in the very early stages of planning, so don't worry about slapping a big red 'NO' stamp on it!

Thanks in advance for your time!
(08-10-2016, 06:26 PM)Lightascetic Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Wyvern!

So, I've been thinking about what kind of character I'd like to try and flesh out for the RP. I've read over the world info and all of the FAQs etc, and I think it's great that the character creation aspect is so free-form! It does unnerve me, however, as I'm afraid of doing something that shouldn't be done, haha.

Anyway, as a loose concept I was thinking about making a bardic/dancer type character. Would that fly here? How do the 'rings' and their magic fit into the whole anti-magic setting?

I also wanted to dabble with the character having weird, slightly prophetic visions or 'fits'. It obviously wouldn't be plot-defying: they wouldn't be what I would call psychic, I want it to be low-key, like little, uncontrollable flits of the future that'd make my character seem strange and/or insane. How they would interpret the information they'd get wouldn't be easy to understand for basically anyone, sometimes even for the character (No THAT'S THE MURDERER: MYSTERY SOLVED stuff). I thought it'd be cool because I'm assuming a lot of people would see these visions as heresy and my character would be hunted a lot/ run out of villages etc. It'd be stuff like the stars whispering to the character that something naughty is going to happen (a robbery, murder etc), and that's how they'd vocalize it.

Do let me know if that'd cross over any lines, and I can either tweak the concept or scrap it and start anew! It's still in the very early stages of planning, so don't worry about slapping a big red 'NO' stamp on it!

Thanks in advance for your time!

Hey Light,

Bard/dancer characters are totally okay.  In fact, we even sort of have one (Lavi).  Maybe your character and his could start a band.

"Ring" magic is sort of in a weird spot in Elibe - it's been documented various Lycian military groups employ musicians (drummers, fife players, etc) who can channel a similar kind of magic through their music to increase morale or combat prowess.  Anything that provides a buff would probably not be seen as heretical.  It's another story entirely with debilitating magic (i.e., "s/he has placed a curse on us"), so it would depend on what kinds of effects you are looking to have.

As for your character twist, that's fine with me, as long as you're responsible with it.  It may even help push along some of our plot, which has sometimes been slow to develop.  I, for one, would welcome it.
Great, thank you for your input! I'll take a look at how Lavi did the profile and start working on the character.

I'm excited to get involved! Smile
Regarding Chronology of Events, can we assume this is a factual account written by an unbiased observer? Or is the Scholar Relius an Etrurian shill trying to ruin the good name of the Lycian Empire? Tongue
Relius is, by all accounts, an independent historian unaffiliated with either party.
Pages: 1 2 3 4