FEPlanet Community

Full Version: Shock Collars...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sooooo, normally I'm against anything like this, but my dog has a really terrible problem with barking. Sometimes she barks for no reason, she barks when she hears any sort of sound, she barks when she sees people...

This is a huge problem because I live in an apartment. In Toronto... -.-;;;; lol So her barking needs to stop.

Now, I was looking into spray collars because I don't like the idea of my dog getting hurt when she barks. However, for some reason she has a HUGE problem with the sound of spray cans of any sort. If I try to spray anything from Febreeze to body spray she goes insane. She barks her head off and nips at it like it's gonna kill everyone. XD I have no idea why but I think maybe it scares her. I don't know, her reaction is weird. lol

So, if the spray collar makes a spraying sound, she's going to get scared(?) and it's going to make it worse and it'll be extremely stressful for her.

That leaves shock collars. I don't like the idea of these at all. And they're expensive, so it makes me even more hesitant to buy one. lol I don't know how she would react to the pain, I've never hurt her or used violence to correct her and she was trained very quickly. She is a Shetland Sheepdog, so she's a small breed. I don't want to say she's skittish, but, well, I guess she is. XD And they beep when they shock, too. So that might upset her.

Any suggestions? Have you ever/do you know anyone who has used these? Anything else I could try? Any input is appreciated.
Well.. what I can remember... personally I found "commanding" them to get quiet (calm and determined, don't shout or pretty much like whisper) and then give a little treat after few seconds of silence.
I'm sure there are articles and guides on the internet that go more into details.
Different people say different things. Some say to ignore your dog to show them they don't get attention when they bark, some say to do what you suggested. I've tried just about everything and I'm really stuck. =/ I was hoping someone else had experienced a similar problem and could offer advice.
Well, it really depends on why the dog barks. Boredom (which fking blows because they can bark for a long time), excitement, insecurity, territorial (I guess that's the word I'm looking for), hunger, trying to get your attention... idk, they'll probably bark whatever they're feeling

And... well, I took care of two dogs for ~1 - 1.5 years and one of them used to bark a lot for pretty much everything but I didn't really need a shock collar or anything.