FEPlanet Community

Full Version: Member count thoughts...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I wonder if there's an available mod or app for the forums that alters the member count so that it doesn't count banned members and members that aren't validated?

The member count right now seems very bloated compared to how many actual members we have. It'd be the right thing to do to distinguish the adbots from actual members.
Only thing we could do on short notice is kill/delete banned accounts, which I will do once I get the new captcha up.
The account count on IPB cannot be helped, despite the fact that we don't even have nearly 90,000 members there.
Yeah i'm not worried about the old forums. I'm worried about these new ones.
Recommend we wait until the new captcha to purge the bans and spambots.
Reason? If we delete them, they will register again.
If we don't, they cannot use the same IP, username or e-mail to register.
IP address conflicts are the exception rather than the norm, and we have contact information available to non-members, and (worse comes to worse) they could use a friend's, neighbors, or public connection to register, after which point, an IP block would have no effect unless we manually enforce it.

Also, I need to set the banlist to compare e-mails by stripping periods, first.
We have a number of spambots, registering as:
sdfgh.dfs.jghd.k.fs.gj@gmail.com, sd.f.ghd.f.s.jg.hdk.fsgj@gmail.com, s.df.g.hd.fsj.g.hd.kf.sgj@gmail.com
and so on and so forth. Gmail doesn't pay attention to periods in e-mails.
Meanwhile, I would tell it to ignore anything after a + sign.
I wouldn't ban all e-mails with periods and plus signs, as some of us have alternate inboxes and other Gmail-specific features using those, and I'd rather be more specific with prohibitions on spambot emails.
Oh, on the topic of member counts: Vegeta.
http://oldforums.feplanet.net/index.php?showuser=90001
[Image: TMzdX95.png]

It's over 90,000 on the FETO/IPB accounts.
Almost thought those were the new member icons at first :o (but I haven't sent you anything) lol