FEPlanet Community

Full Version: Hannibal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, the new series of Hannibal is on and, much like the first series, it's my favourite thing on television at the moment. I adore its camerawork, I adore its feel, its revelry in an artistic display of grotesqueries, and I adore its cast. Even Lawrence Fishburne I can watch without immediately quoting the rave scene from Matrix: Reloaded while pissing myself laughing.

In my terrible backwards nation of drunks and skirt-wearing men, it's not really caught on among my friends. Are there any fans of the show here that I can squee with?
What is it about? I'm afraid I've never heard of "Hannibal". Is it about the Second Punic War?
Carthago est delenda.
Hannibal is an...interesting show to pin down. It's essentially a crime show that serves as a prequel to Thomas Harris' Red Dragon. It's helmed by professional death-enthusiast Bryan Fuller, and stars Mads Mikkelsen as Hannibal and Hugh Dancy as Will Graham.

What's so brilliant about it though is how it's directed - there's a unique visual feel that turns the grotesqueries of the strangely-high amount of artistic serial killers into a weirdly compelling beauty. It's hallucinogenic as balls as well, utilising symbolism and dream sequences with giddy abandon.

Also, like I said, Lawrence Fishburne being tolerable. Hooray.

If you haven't seen it yet I would highly recommend it. The second season's showing on NBC right now.
Quote:professional death-enthusiast

... I'm sold.

(Are these people called thanatologists? Morticians do the autopsies/postmortem crap, but who studies death itself?)